Bizarre roaster behaviour

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
kidleethal

Bizarre roaster behaviour

Post by kidleethal »

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a Kaffelogic and have been very happy with it until the last few days where it has started roasting very bizarrely.

I will come back to find the roast 'completed' but the beans either still in the yellowing stage, or way under done like they have only just hit first crack despite a L3.3.

When I look at the roast logs and watch the roaster, the temperature ramps up according to the profile, then seems to drop suddenly several minutes into the roast as if it is trying to cool the beans, before trying to ramp back up again, then this cycle repeats again This is using the core profiles.

The machine is directly plugged into the mains. The ambient temperature is about 22 degrees, and I have one level scoop of greens in the roaster.

I've recently updated the firmware to 7.4.6.1105 if that explains anything?

I've attached a couple of logs of the problem if anyone has any clever ideas as to why this is occurring. It's quite frustrating and has caused me to bin about 400g of beans now.
Attachments
log0020.klog
(73.93 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
log0019.klog
(79.29 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
log0017.klog
(62.19 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
Last edited by kidleethal on Sat 27 Feb, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kidleethal

Re: Bizarre roaster behaviour

Post by kidleethal »

I just now roasted using Ninja Turtle straight after the roasts above, and it roasted without any problems at all. I can't figure out what is going on.
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

Hi

Where you have flat sections in power curve, indicates you don’t have sufficient voltage.

It does seem a bit weird on the stock profiles, and your fan curve is standard, so no extra power draw due to that. The machine is drawing an excessive amount of power. Hopefully KL support will make sense of it.

G
kidleethal

Post by kidleethal »

Thanks for the insight.

Be great to know what's causing the problem! I'll have to see what the KL guys say. I also sent them a support email.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

This is a fault. The thermal fuse (which is part of the element unit) has, to use a not-too-technical term, gone on the blink. It is faulty, and instead of just burning out as it should in an overheating situation it is going off and back on again in a normal heating situation. You can see this happening where the temperature goes down steeply while the power goes up steeply. The temperature goes down because the element goes off; the power goes up because the control system is trying to push the temperature up.

This is a manufacturing fault and we will replace the element under warranty. This is a rare fault, and a particularly annoying one because it usually passes our factory QA checks.
kidleethal

Post by kidleethal »

kaffelogic wrote: Mon 01 Mar, 2021 5:41 pm This is a fault. The thermal fuse (which is part of the element unit) has, to use a not-too-technical term, gone on the blink. It is faulty, and instead of just burning out as it should in an overheating situation it is going off and back on again in a normal heating situation. You can see this happening where the temperature goes down steeply while the power goes up steeply. The temperature goes down because the element goes off; the power goes up because the control system is trying to push the temperature up.

This is a manufacturing fault and we will replace the element under warranty. This is a rare fault, and a particularly annoying one because it usually passes our factory QA checks.
Thanks for the reply.

Wayne has been in touch and is very kindly helping me get this sorted.

Cheers everyone.
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

Thanks for update. Was wondering what happened to your machine.
kidleethal

Post by kidleethal »

I just wanted to put some closure on this by saying what fantastic customer service I experienced from Kaffelogic with resolving this issue:

- Saturday: Emailed support about the issue

- Monday: Wayne emailed me back first thing in the morning diagnosing the issue and organising repair.

- Tuesday: John from Kaffelogic drove over to my house (!), picked up the roaster and took it to the factory in Christchurch.

- Thursday: John hand delivered the roaster back to me all fixed.

Makes me very glad to support a local business. Thank you Kaffelogic!