New feature requested: button lock

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

New feature requested: button lock

Post by kaffelogic »

One of our users has suggested adding a 'button lock' to the Nano 7 roaster so that on the completion of a roast the buttons are locked (unresponsive), allowing tipping out without risk of accidentally changing settings by an unwanted button press. The button lock would be unlocked by a long press of one or two buttons, allowing you to go on to initiate the next roast as usual.

Are there other users who would find this useful, or would it be more of a nuisance?
fnq

Re: New feature requested: button lock

Post by fnq »

Some feedback as requested.

I have had no known problems with back to back roasting.

I seemingly use a variety of 'endings' and i haven't noticed any perceivable differences in ongoing roasts.

FOR MORE INFO

i sometimes press [ -] to end roast and shorten the cooling time ( once displayed temp reading in approx 40)

i sometimes see a cool down is finished message when i drop the roasted beans

i sometimes see a Safe to turn off ( or similar message) if i have been away a bit longer than expected.

I could live with a button change sequence but have no real need for it.My only reservation with double button pressing is I tend to put additional pressure on the buttons when i perform this ( and I probably make a funny face and stick my tongue out just so.. to get it right!!!) so i worry that i shorten the lifespan of the button plate. Regards Darryl
Matt S

Post by Matt S »

I have never had any issues with pressing buttons on the roaster when unloading a completed roast. Personally I think the button lock is unnecessary.
Mark

Post by Mark »

No need as far as I can see!

Cheers mark
Amberale

Post by Amberale »

I have no problems with the current button set up.
I think the perceived problem would be alleviated if there was a handle on the side a’la the mod in another thread.
Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to source one of those handles or a similar sized one in Australia and I don’t want to bodgie one up.
I also want a longer power cord as, where I roast, my power point is at ankle level and that makes tipping the roasted beans out awkward.(Involving eye squint and extended tongue :) )
I’m on 230v so would a 1-2 metre HD extension cord make much difference to the profiles?

My two bits.
Jaybee

Post by Jaybee »

I tip the machine holding the top and the base, so have never had an issue.

If some users are finding difficulty though, how about starting a roast with a Lo-o-o-ng press of the play button to signal locked buttons following cooldown. That way it wouldn't be a nuisance for, er, me :lol:

The simplest way to continue would be to restart with the same profile using another long press, or switch the machine on and off again to return to normal.
mr. bean

Post by mr. bean »

I've never accidentally pressed a button when tipping, and you can always just turn off the machine before you tip...
Barry O'Speedwagon

Post by Barry O'Speedwagon »

It had never occurred to me that I might accidentally hit one of the buttons when emptying the machine. I had to go and try it out to work out exactly how I do it....and it seems I go nowhere near the buttons. Not sure that turning the machine off is a great idea if you are going to do another roast soon after emptying (see the thread on back-to-back roasting).
Baz
lancruiser

Post by lancruiser »

I gathered that most people are able-bodied and not encumbered by disabilities, old age or plain clumsiness. Perhaps a less intrusive way of implementing the button lock is through an option in the custom profile.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful responses. My preference is to keep the user interface as simple as possible, and as there seems to be reasonable acceptance of the existing, so I won't embark on implementing a button lock at present.