How to log First Crack (FC)
- Start the roast by hitting the Start button (3rd button from the left)
- Listen for FC,
- Hit the Menu button (1st button from the right)
- Hit the Start button (3rd button from the left)
- When you hear 3 cracks in quick succession.
Why log FC
- The Nano adds it to your KL Log for the roast
- You wil see an indicator showing Development Time Ratio (DTR%) of the roast in progress.
The significance of this, is that from this point onward, you can decide the roast level. A light roast might be 30 - 45 seconds (or 15 - 20% of total roast time) after first crack. A medium roast could be ending the roast 1-2 minutes (or 20 - 25% of total roast time) after first crack.
This phase is commonly referred to as 'Development Time', the time that the bean is being developed, sugars are being caramelised and you are modulating to a large degree the flavour. DTR is simply the ratio of this phase in relation to the total roast time.
- You can use the logged FC to fine tune your roast profile or develop new ones.
- You can find which Roast level and DTR you personally prefer
Once you find a DTR you like, you can start making minor changes to the profile itself to experiment with the effects on the bean whilst keeping DTR locked in.
I'm not a roaster, I just want a good cup of coffee. This is intended to validate and share what I have learned. This is further intended to be simplified and 80% correct. Please feel free to correct and add to this so that others may learn from it.