Recording 1st crack with mobile

Have you discovered a good way to do something with your Kaffelogic? Share it here.
nrdlnd

Recording 1st crack with mobile

Post by nrdlnd »

Hi,
This has been up before. I'm recording First crack with my mobile phone using a program on Google Play called "Smart Audio Recorder". This is a "free" program but with some disturbing advertisements that you have to click away. I use it under the kitchen hood with the fan on highest speed and I can still record 1st crack easily so I can get it into the log. On this picture you can see the very first crack but I wait until there comes more in succession. They came very soon after I took the picture and I marked 1st crack then.
Attachments
Recording_1st_crack.JPG
Recording_1st_crack.JPG (73.2 KiB) Viewed 6631 times
Beanz

Re: Recording 1st crack with mobile

Post by Beanz »

Thanks for this tip nrdlnd. I have used a similar app but seem to have mislaid it with updates.
There are at least two apps which have Smart Audio Recorder in their title. Can you clarify the full name of the app and the developer name?

This would be a good post for anyone else who thinks they might have a better app too. Cheers
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Beanz wrote: Mon 06 Sep, 2021 9:46 am Thanks for this tip nrdlnd. I have used a similar app but seem to have mislaid it with updates.
There are at least two apps which have Smart Audio Recorder in their title. Can you clarify the full name of the app and the developer name?

This would be a good post for anyone else who thinks they might have a better app too. Cheers
Sorry for not answering before! I haven't checked the thread until now. I had also difficulties finding the app. On my mobile it's called "Smart audio recorder" but in the Play store i'ts called "Voice Recorder: Audio Recorder". Developer is AIO Studio (Taiwan). The reason I recommended this app was because it showed very clearly the cracks. In other ways it's not so nice with all the advertisments but they are possible to click away.

This topic with recording 1st crack has been up before but I wanted to show a very easy way to do it. I'm just interested to be able to see when 1st crack happens and then I press the buttons on the KL to have it registered. I do usually not care about 2nd crack so I just delete the recording when 1st crack has happened.

I think many sound recording apps works to record first crack and I'm sure you can find an app that works for you. I'm hearing impaired so this is a great help for me to record 1st crack. I only wish it hadn't that much bloat with silly and disturbing advertisments!

EDIT: I should have recommended a FOSS app instead without the irritating ads. I can't guarantee that the app I recommended is safe but I found it on Google Play. Here is an example of a FOSS app instead: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... iorecorder
It's open source and should be safe.
emilesilvis

Post by emilesilvis »

I've been wondering recently whether I can write a small program that would listen to a stream of sound data and detect "first crack". That way you have a pretty consistent way of noting first crack (right now, I don't trust myself to do it manually, consistently).

So far I've played around with neural networks (TensorFlow) and more traditional sound analysis libraries (such as https://github.com/tyiannak/pyAudioAnalysis). In addition, it could also log when the machine starts roasting. I think both approaches could work (traditional sound analysis probably better), but requires a lot of time from me :)

Wayne, perhaps future generations of the Nano could even have something like this built-in :)
emilesilvis

Post by emilesilvis »

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... l=en&gl=US looks like it's something that could help. I don't have an Android device to test.
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Yes of course it could be possible that the roaster had the capability to register 1st crack. There are roasting machines that can do that but they cost 5-10 times more than the KL.

I just wanted to show a simple way to this with my mobile. I think almost any sound recording app can do this. With the app I recommended I have never missed 1st crack. I had problems hear it before but never now. If you can stand the ads I recommend it. I press the button when I see and hear cracks in succession. The very first most often single crack can come some time before the popcorning really starts. I don't save the recordings. I stop the recording and delete it. It's already recorded in the KL program. I don't see this as a problem. If I want to record 1st crack I must standby and follow the roast anyway.