Back-to-back roasting

Have you discovered a good way to do something with your Kaffelogic? Share it here.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Back-to-back roasting

Post by kaffelogic »

The Kaffelogic Nano 7 is designed for continuous use roasting multiple batches in one session. There is no need to wait between batches, provided the following points are observed:
  1. Allow the cool down to complete uninterrupted.
  2. Do not turn the power switch off between roasts.
In early versions of the firmware (earlier than firmware v7.4.5) it was necessary to wait between batches otherwise there was a build up of heat eventually leading to "heat too fast" errors. This is no longer necessary. Early versions of the firmware cooled the beans to 40 deg C and stopped sometimes after only one and a half minutes. Since v7.4.5 cooling continues until the beans reach 8 deg C above ambient air temperature. This usually takes four minutes and is sufficient to completely reset the heat in the unit ready for another roast straight away.

The Nano 7 detects ambient air temperature correctly when it is turned on from cold, and also when it completes cool down, but not when it is turned on while warm. For this reason, if you intend using it within the next two hours, then you should leave it turned on. Otherwise it will detect the wrong ambient air temperature when you turn it back on. It will overestimate the air temperature by up to 8 deg C, and this will typically result in first crack happening at around 2 deg C higher than in the first roast. It's not a big effect, but if roast replicability is important to you then leaving the roaster turned on between batches is important.

If you are having trouble because you keep hitting the buttons while you are emptying it, then you will do best to change your emptying technique. Try putting one hand on the top of the base unit, and then tilt the unit so you can get the other hand underneath the roaster. Lifting it this way keeps your hands well away from the buttons.

If the "please turn me off" message comes up, clear it by pressing one of the buttons. Only turn the roaster off if you do not intend to use it for at least a couple of hours.
gbr68

Re: Back-to-back roasting

Post by gbr68 »

Hi
I have just completed first roast of the day and did not turn machine off, however after pushing the go button for the second roast, machine came up with message: Heat to slow pls check beans. Have since, while not turning the machine off, hit the go button again and seems it is roasting normally. I have up till now turned the machine off always between roasts.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Gary
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hi gbr68

This is odd behaviour. This shouldn't carry on. Please could you monitor this and give me feedback in a few roasts time if it does this again. Just a question from my side, are you running the latest firmware?

Regards and how is the roasting on the unit?
gbr68

Post by gbr68 »

Hi Wayne
Thank you for reply.
Roasting has been great. Having used a tumble roaster for years I dont think we have lost anything flavour wise. A damn fine machine. Settled on Ninja Turtle L3.8. Best for our taste and I leave it a minimum of 4 or 5 days rest.

After my email I did check that I had the latest firmware and discovered I did not. All up to date now and did put through another single roast and all ok. Will do back to back again next week. I suspect not using current firmware was the issue, however will let you know.
Many thanks
Gary
gbr68

Post by gbr68 »

Hi Wayne
Just completed 3 back to back roasts. No issues.
Thanks
Gary
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

Hi Wayne,

I have been doing back-to-back roasting for the past 3 months. I normally do between 3 to 6 back-to-back batches during each session without turning off the roaster. So far I have not had any issues. Today I roasted 4 batches of Ethiopian Gambella Sundried beans. This bean produces a lot of chaff so I emptied the collector at the end of each batch. With other beans like the Brazil Yellow Bourbon which doesn't produce much chaff I think I was able to do 4 batches before the collector had to be emptied.

We have had to roaster since Dec 2020. I have just finished my 93rd roast and loving every minute of the process and its results. I am also looking forward to the new improved chaff collector you are still finalising.

Keep up the great work and thanks.

John