Software suggestion - multiple windows

Have you discovered a good way to do something with your Kaffelogic? Share it here.
Luca

Software suggestion - multiple windows

Post by Luca »

I am using the software on mac.

If I'm doing something like working on modifying one profile to create another, I often want to cross-reference what results I saw in a log file, or what things I had programmed into another roast profile. It is super annoying to only be able to have one window open at a time. That is to say, if I'm working on creating new Profile X and I want to, say, work out what fan profile speed I had on Profile A and what taste notes I had from it, I can't click on the profile A file and have that open alongside Profile X; I have to use some workaround, like closing and saving Profile X and opening Profile A, or using the compare profiles function.

It would be so much easier if you could have multiple windows open next to each other. I'm not a programmer, but if this means having two instances of the program running, that might be fine.
BenN

Re: Software suggestion - multiple windows

Post by BenN »

I'm not sure on Mac but I can open multiple instance of studio on windows .
Screenshot 2021-01-17 115554.jpg
Screenshot 2021-01-17 115554.jpg (587.51 KiB) Viewed 12018 times
Also I can compare files in same instance from under tools menu.
Last edited by BenN on Mon 18 Jan, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

Hi Luca,
Windows and Linux support multiple instances of an app. On the Mac only one instance is supported by the GUI, but you can open multiple instances from the command line. The following command will open a new instance of Studio:

Code: Select all

open -n '/Applications/Kaffelogic Studio.app'
The ideal solution would be for Studio to implement a full Multiple Document Interface (MDI), but this is a substantial development and is some time away from being implemented. In the meantime, opening multiple instances is your friend.
mr. bean

Post by mr. bean »

I had no idea I could do this with Mac. Thanks!
Luca

Post by Luca »

Sweet, thanks, Chris. That's great. No need to waste development time on it from my perspective, I think.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

The compromise I have come up with is to add a menu item that runs that console command and pops open a new instance. This makes it feel like it's part of the GUI and only costs me about half an hour of development time. Look for it in the next beta version late next week.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

I am just working on building and uploading beta version 4.2.9 which has this feature. So far I have the Mac and Windows versions uploaded which you are welcome to try now at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing