May I...

Have you discovered a good way to do something with your Kaffelogic? Share it here.
Angela

May I...

Post by Angela »

show off a bit?

Ever since having the KL roaster I've had more roasted coffee to store then before. I've got a couple of Airscapes but they are too large just for 100 grams of RTD coffee. So as well as Airscapes I've been storing roast beans in packets that seal and can expel air. (So they say.)

Then you accumulate several packets - I'm sure you've all been here?

I resorted to a handy box a fairly useless coffee supplier sent. I say 'useless' because the beans he sold me were dead on arrival and he wouldn't give any hints as to roasting them. So I have been using this Redber box for ages.
PXL_20201003_154357648.jpg
PXL_20201003_154357648.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 9925 times
Yuk!

Finally after months of procrastination I have ...
PXL_20201003_154541967.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg
PXL_20201003_154541967.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg (3.11 MiB) Viewed 9925 times
Tada!

The section at the rear holds spare baskets and staples and pens and labels.
PXL_20201003_154832983.jpg
PXL_20201003_154832983.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 9925 times
It's Beech and Utile. Looking at the photos I think I might have to renew the paper packets!
nrdlnd

Re: May I...

Post by nrdlnd »

Hi,
Looks very nice if you store your roasted coffee like that.
I use containers of glass with a plastic lid where I can see my notations through the lid.
More difficult to store of course! What I wonder is the importance of degassing? Is it better not to completely lock the lid in the beginning after a roasst to be able to let CO2 escape?
Picture2.JPG
Picture2.JPG (113.94 KiB) Viewed 9918 times
Picture1.JPG
Picture1.JPG (141.28 KiB) Viewed 9918 times
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

nrdlnd wrote: Sun 04 Oct, 2020 12:46 pm More difficult to store of course! What I wonder is the importance of degassing? Is it better not to completely lock the lid in the beginning after a roasst to be able to let CO2 escape?
I’m led to believe rightly or wrongly that the CO2 provides a protective layer, so if left undisturbed in your glass containers would be beneficial.

I used to use freezer bags (reusable for a few times), and has a fish tank check valve and silicone tube inserted into the bag and sealed off with a rubber band, then attached another check valve connected via T-joint to evacuate air, but not suck atmospheric air back in on the reverse stroke of the large syringe used. Once the air is sucked out as best possible, I’d remove the T-junction/syringe and other check valve. So only the one check valve is used per bag.

A variation is attaching the valve to a lid of jar to carry out the same process. Of course the bag/jar is kept out of direct light. The check valves are cheap as chips, but have a feeling the CO2 maybe degrade it over time, based on what fish guy said to me in the shop when I purchased the valves.

I’m not sure if I was actually evacuating precious volatiles in the process of doing the above.

Alternatively is using a wine vac (wine saver vacuum pump) in a bottle and pump out the air. But as I don’t roast sufficient quantities this option wasn’t feasible.

I also tried to find the mason jar attachment for the FoodSaver Lock & Seal vacuum system, but the mason jar attachment is not available in NZ and not worth the purchase offshore. Of course I could have purchased the small FoodSaver containers with built in check valves, but aren’t cheap if buying several for different roasts.

After all that, I’ve gone back to the simple bag, rolling up the excess bag, and leaving it till ready to brew.

Cheers
Angela

Post by Angela »

I have been told is it is the oxygen (from air) that does the damage to beans in storage. Increased CO2 will not reduce oxygen, but just increase the pressure within the container.

Airscape was mentioned in my original post. Those containers solve the problem of the increased air volume as beans are used up. But so do my bags.

It is not my intention to be a shill for Airscape but the product works quite well. The smaller size is limited to two KL roasts - three and ii is over-full and the top lld will not fit. The downside is they are American (probably need importing) and expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Planetary-Design ... B00167TT94
Geronimo wrote: Sun 04 Oct, 2020 2:04 pm
After all that, I’ve gone back to the simple bag, rolling up the excess bag, and leaving it till ready to brew.
And I think that is as good a solution as any!
Angela

Post by Angela »

I’m led to believe rightly or wrongly that the CO2 provides a protective layer, so if left undisturbed in your glass containers would be beneficial.

Mmm. There is something called Brownian Motion that applies to molecules in gasses. The energy the gas has - as denoted by temperature - means the molecules are in motion. They bang and collide and generally mix it. To be be crudely inelegant - a small fart, a lift soon fills.
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

Angela wrote: Sun 04 Oct, 2020 9:48 pm

Mmm. There is something called Brownian Motion that applies to molecules in gasses. The energy the gas has - as denoted by temperature - means the molecules are in motion. They bang and collide and generally mix it. To be be crudely inelegant - a small fart, a lift soon fills.
Hi Angela

Yeah you are 100 percent right with respect to Brownian motion, and totally forgot about that, my brain cells from school science days haven’t been used for a very long time. Love your example.

Cheers
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Angela wrote: Sun 04 Oct, 2020 9:48 pm

"Brownian Motion" is also called "Random Walk". Thank you Angela (and Einstein) for pointing this out!
The reason I showed my canisters was that I've found them useful. They are not too big. I make notes and i put the notes above the beans in the canister. The lid is translucent and I can read the notes without opening the canister. Degassing occurs even if the lid is closed and as soon as you open your bag or canister there will come air in.
Angela

Post by Angela »

nrdlnd wrote: Sun 04 Oct, 2020 11:52 pm
The reason I showed my canisters was that I've found them useful. They are not too big. I make notes and i put the notes above the beans in the canister. The lid is translucent and I can read the notes without opening the canister. Degassing occurs even if the lid is closed and as soon as you open your bag or canister there will come air in.
It is a case of what works for you. As with most design problems, there are many answers. :)
Asteronit

Post by Asteronit »

'I have been told is it is the oxygen (from air) that does the damage to beans in storage. Increased CO2 will not reduce oxygen, but just increase the pressure within the container.'
Really, does it work this way?
Angela

Post by Angela »

Asteronit wrote: Mon 02 Nov, 2020 4:14 am Really, does it work this way?
Absolutely, yes!