Kaffelogic Modding - Clear Lid

Have you discovered a good way to do something with your Kaffelogic? Share it here.
nrdlnd

Re: Kaffelogic Modding - Clear Lid

Post by nrdlnd »

Geronimo wrote: Fri 18 Sep, 2020 8:01 am That was a timely post, as was going to give this halogen lamp to hospice shop in the weekend. I could get a cheap mirror from Kmart and fix to the lamp stand. (Hopefully). I wouldn't use the light, just the torch.
This forum is flooding of good ideas. :D Please don't make it overly complicated! 1. A clear lid on the chaff collector. 2. When you want to watch the moving of the beans or the colour change after the drying phase or maybe at 1C; Just take a mirror in your left hand and hold it behind the roaster angled and direct your torch against your mirror and watch your beans. Of course it could be nice to have a permanent installation but I can't have it on the kitchen range!
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

nrdlnd wrote: Sat 19 Sep, 2020 9:22 am
Geronimo wrote: Fri 18 Sep, 2020 8:01 am That was a timely post, as was going to give this halogen lamp to hospice shop in the weekend. I could get a cheap mirror from Kmart and fix to the lamp stand. (Hopefully). I wouldn't use the light, just the torch.
This forum is flooding of good ideas. :D Please don't make it overly complicated! 1. A clear lid on the chaff collector. 2. When you want to watch the moving of the beans or the colour change after the drying phase or maybe at 1C; Just take a mirror in your left hand and hold it behind the roaster angled and direct your torch against your mirror and watch your beans. Of course it could be nice to have a permanent installation but I can't have it on the kitchen range!
Funny you should say that, as my better half is always saying, “don’t over think it”. I wanted an excuse to keep the lamp. :D
kudoze

Post by kudoze »

So have your clear petri dish 'lids' arrived yet?

Share some photos of how it's working for you... :)

I've done about 10 roasts over the last few days. It's really been brilliant to have that clear lid while trying to refine my own profiles - especially for logging colour change and trying to nail a good 40:40:20 phase ratio + rolling crack etc.
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

kudoze wrote: Tue 22 Sep, 2020 9:29 am Share some photos of how it's working for you... :)
It's necessary to have a tripod to do that! A mirror in the left hand and a torch in the right hand... :roll:
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

kudoze wrote: Tue 22 Sep, 2020 9:29 am So have your clear petri dish 'lids' arrived yet?

Share some photos of how it's working for you... :)
In my case they are delayed, and won’t get till end of month, so no nothing to report yet.
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Hi,
I got my 100mm Petri dish with lids yesterday. Only the lids did fit. It was possible to watch the beans with a torch and a mirror below the kitchen hood. I think it will be difficult to see when the beans yellow. It's ok to check if the beans move in a good way. It's definiely some value to be able to see the beans but it's limited. But the glass dish is better than the plastic lid so I will probably use it anyway.

Edit: I do prefer the glass lid of quite another reason than the possibility to watch the beans. It's heavier and does let less chaff coming out. That means easier cleaning afterwards. It's a real difference! The plastic lid has a tendency to lift and let chaff out. A solution to that could of course be to put a wheight on the plastic lid. I have wondered about why and where the chaff comes out from and most of it seems to come from the lid lifting because of air pressure. This is a tip to the designers of the chaff collector.