Feedback for the Core Profiles

Have you discovered a good way to do something with your Kaffelogic? Share it here.
Angela

Re: Feedback for the Core Profiles

Post by Angela »

nrdlnd wrote: Mon 07 Sep, 2020 9:17 am .

Angela, I can see that you roast rather light with a L=2.1. Usually if I roast that light my espresso becomes too acid for my taste. It's usually OK with pour over though.

Hiya.
I read somewhere, in my eternal search for a better brew, that Yirgacheffes shouldn't continue more than 1:30 mins after first crack. 2.1 works for me, mainly, but sometimes I intervene and stop a roast earlier if the time ticks over 1.30 by too much. I use a 2:1 recipe, or just under, and haven't noticed acidity being a problem recently.
Asteronit

Post by Asteronit »

Angela wrote: Fri 28 Aug, 2020 8:13 pm I mostly use espresso 1:2 ratio, or thereabout for Ethiopians to avoid too much acidity, roasted to level 2.1. But the Yirgacheffe beans do give a very tea like experience with the French Press as well which I choose to have sometimes. However, I find that can be a little over-powering and generally prefer the heavier mouthfeel of espresso.

@Wayne I would love to visit the virtual café but some of use are half-way around the World and are asleep whilst your café is open!
And I will throw the remaining Cerrado away as beyond their time; I do have a tendency to hoard; I will work on that! Forgive me, Oh Exulted One, for casting aspersions on 0-1200~ :)
So do I. I don't really like Ethiopians acidity and I do everything to avoid it. So, I'll try 2.1 level of roast.
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Asteronit wrote: Mon 14 Sep, 2020 2:45 am So do I. I don't really like Ethiopians acidity and I do everything to avoid it. So, I'll try 2.1 level of roast.
My last roast with Ethiopian Amaro Gayo at L=3.2 was still too acidic for espresso for my taste. It wasn't bad and I did write: Taste after 3½ day: Rather balanced citrus acidity, floral tones, some body, Mocha aroma. Fresh espresso. It was evenly roasted without defects. I may try this bean in a Mocha blend with a Sumatra Mandheling or Lintong. 25% Amaro Gayo and 75% Indonesian to get more body and less acidity. I don't know if they blend well for espresso but I've made a similar blend for pour over that was rather nice.