Roast Record Sheet

Have you discovered a good way to do something with your Kaffelogic? Share it here.
Beanz

Roast Record Sheet

Post by Beanz »

I've been modifying a Roast Record Sheet and thought others might find it useful. Some items have come up in discussions here and others are there as prompts. Cheers
Kaffelogic roast record sheet 20200808.docx
(24.36 KiB) Downloaded 482 times
[Moderators, please delete topic if you don't feel this is appropriate here]
Howard W

Re: Roast Record Sheet

Post by Howard W »

Thanks Beanz. What're escaped beans btw?
Beanz

Post by Beanz »

Thanks Howard. Escaped beans are those ones you discover amongst the chaff collected in the chimney during the roasting process. They have escaped out of the roast due to loading/fan speed. Sometimes they are hiding where the chimney sits and delight in being just the other side of the lip so you miss including them in your weight

I put this here as a prompt to look for them as these affect your weighing post roast and you need to find them and put them back in your weighing container to get your moisture loss percentages right. If there are consistently too many, I imagine that might also affect what quantity of that bean/blend you aim to roast in future and whether your profile needs tweaking etc.

In practical terms, I have a white desert bowl beside the roaster. As soon as the roast is complete I take off the chimney and place it in this bowl and shake it out & check for escapees. THEN tip out the roast onto the scales etc.

Also, Geronimo and others were mentioning tipping, which I hadn't encountered before, (I'm only up to 60+ roasts) so that is added in here as a cue to monitor for this. So far, I haven't experienced it but now know to look for it routinely.

These handwritten notes are used to populate my roasting spreadsheet and to head another piece of paper I use to make brewing notes, for that roast, to help with grind settings and complete the feedback loop to inform my next roasting.
Angela

Post by Angela »

There is an old thread on something similar here https://kaffelogic.com/community/viewto ... p=189#p189

I still use them but I changed the fairly useless 'roasted by' to the 'grind setting' I find by experiment.
If it wasn't me who roasted my beans who else might it be? That's what I want to know! :D