RTD profiles seem best after 12 to 24 hour rest

The 12 core profiles (plus additional profiles customised for specific microlots as they become available)
theiguanaoz

RTD profiles seem best after 12 to 24 hour rest

Post by theiguanaoz »

Hi all. Nothing terribly scientific here, but I'm finding my RTD roasts are best enjoyed the next day. Yes, they are palatable off the roast, but something about the short rest makes them come to life. I'm roasting around 2.8 on most profiles and using a variety of beans. Kaffelogic's suggestion of roasting the night before for the next day even works - so maybe that window is 12 hours, I'm not sure.

I think this is important to note though, as most of us roasting at home are using quality greens and will be more discerning than the averarage coffee drinker. 'Ready to Drink' could describe any roast to be honest - but 'ready to enjoy' would mean a short rest - and 12 to 24 hours is still significantly better than 3-5 days with most profiles and other roasters - so this si more an observation than a criticism.

Cheers!
fnq

Re: RTD profiles seem best after 12 to 24 hour rest

Post by fnq »

Hi
I used a 2000- 2700 RTD profile the other day and my experience is similar to what you have described.

Approximately 15 minutes off roasting and the cup included some acrid flavours that i hadn't previously experienced in this bean. ( My next sampling(s) (multiple if i include previous successful tastings) were at around the 12 hour mark - no acrid tastes and quite clean tastes but maybe a tiny bit muted compared to other profiles. Still a very worthwhile addition to the Roasting repertoire. Cheers Darryl
theiguanaoz

Post by theiguanaoz »

fnq wrote: Wed 25 Nov, 2020 10:03 pm Hi
I used a 2000- 2700 RTD profile the other day and my experience is similar to what you have described.

Approximately 15 minutes off roasting and the cup included some acrid flavours that i hadn't previously experienced in this bean. ( My next sampling(s) (multiple if i include previous successful tastings) were at around the 12 hour mark - no acrid tastes and quite clean tastes but maybe a tiny bit muted compared to other profiles. Still a very worthwhile addition to the Roasting repertoire. Cheers Darryl
Correct - very worthwile and in some cases I've found it more enjoyable than allowing the beans to rest under a normal profile. One of my favourite beans, Ethiopian Shakiso, is a great example - great vibrancy.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

theiguanaoz wrote: Wed 25 Nov, 2020 11:24 am Nothing terribly scientific here, but I'm finding my RTD roasts are best enjoyed the next day.
I agree that this is a general tendency and a useful rule of thumb, but in my experience there is great variability between beans and they tend to peak at slightly different times even though roasted to the same profile. There is no substitute for tasting and there is always scope for being surprised by coffee.
Chris
Hawko

Post by Hawko »

kaffelogic wrote: Mon 18 Jan, 2021 11:58 am
theiguanaoz wrote: Wed 25 Nov, 2020 11:24 am Nothing terribly scientific here, but I'm finding my RTD roasts are best enjoyed the next day.
I agree that this is a general tendency and a useful rule of thumb, but in my experience there is great variability between beans and they tend to peak at slightly different times even though roasted to the same profile. There is no substitute for tasting and there is always scope for being surprised by coffee.
Chris
So true. I roasted a monsoon malabar and hated it immediately after roasting, not any better after 4 days and threw it in the back of cupboard.

3 weeks later absolutely loved it.
theiguanaoz

Post by theiguanaoz »

kaffelogic wrote: Mon 18 Jan, 2021 11:58 am
Chris
Yep - yet another (of many) fascinating learnings about coffee I've had thanks to the KL. Always amazed.