Kaffelogic Core Profile Feedback

The 12 core profiles (plus additional profiles customised for specific microlots as they become available)
Wayne

Kaffelogic Core Profile Feedback

Post by Wayne »

Good day Kaffelogic users

This topic has been created to allow us the opportunity to place all the Kaffelogic Core Profile feedback in one place .
fnq

Re: Kaffelogic Core Profile Feedback

Post by fnq »

Moved to the correct thread,, sorry
TheBean

Post by TheBean »

Wayne wrote: Fri 28 Aug, 2020 12:25 pm Good day Kaffelogic users

This topic has been created to allow us the opportunity to place all the Kaffelogic Core Profile feedback in one place .
I found that the Core Profile gives a “charred” aromas - the same was mentioned to me by other users. Not sure, if this was intended to be “charred”… MASL profiles do not have the same “charred” aroma - they’re all nicely tuned and universal.

Also, none of the core profiles can easily roast bigger, AAA 20 screen size, beans: the beans barely move and roasted a bit uneven.
fnq

Post by fnq »

Hi The Bean

I am needing a bit of clarity please.

Which of your 'Core' profiles result in Charred aromas??

I view the 12 MASL type profiles as the core profiles along with KL classic... so if the MASL profiles seem okay which one (s) aren't working for you?

We probably just need to make sure we are talking about the same thing. Cheers Darryl
mr. bean

Post by mr. bean »

I'm assuming you mean the Classic profile. I'd just stick with the Altitude based core profiles if they're working better. I never use the classic profile.

Regarding 120g of large beans, I found I need to ramp up the fan speed at the start of most profiles to do 120g well, but especially larger beans.
See screen shot below as example.
Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 8.33.01 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 8.33.01 pm.png (251 KiB) Viewed 9409 times
I'm sure this is affecting heat application, but seems like a better situation than the beans not moving!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hi Wayne, to change it up a bit I've been using your 900-1200 GTTT profile recently.

I found that the fan speed was reducing before dehydration really kicked in, resulting in no bean movement between about 2:00 and 7:00. This gave an odd, premature/spread out first crack as I suspect the beans further down were hotter and thus reached first crack earlier.

So I'm onto my fourth iteration of increasing the fan speed (still always declining though) to ensure bean movement at all stages. Seems to be working well now, with first crack near my expected 207 degrees.

I haven't modified the temperature profile. The only other mod was increasing the preheat power to just above the recommended value based on fan speed increases. It seems to be tracking nicely. No tipping or baking.

cheers
Simon
wilfong

Post by wilfong »

As most are aware, the core profiles aren't the best choice in most cases. I have heard rumors that the Kaffelogic team had plans to alter the core profiles to improve them. Is there a plan to do this?