Brazil medium espresso roast

Start a new topic for a new roast profile. Reply to an existing topic to enter your comments on the profile, or to attach minor variants.
Steve

Brazil medium espresso roast

Post by Steve »

Medium traditional espresso roast for Brazil natural / pulped natural.
Final design based on the Rob Hoo's Brazil light roast discussion thread.
https://kaffelogic.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=87

Roast level 1.4 to 1.8
100g batch size
Weight loss should be around 14 to 14.5%
Espresso ratio 1:1 up to 1:2

BrazilDolce.jpg
BrazilDolce.jpg (37.17 KiB) Viewed 8725 times
BrazilMed.kpro
(2.56 KiB) Downloaded 438 times
Steve

Re: Brazil medium espresso roast

Post by Steve »

Exactly the same profile except that I changed the "pre heat nominal temperature" in engineer level settings from the default of 240C to 250C. Worth doing a comparison as I am certain the starting settings have the greatest impact on "overall roast development"
BrazilMed2.kpro
(2.56 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
Damian

Post by Damian »

100g of Bazil Pulped Natural roasted with BrazilMed to 1.7
3 days rest - Pretty plain, mild coffee. No nasties. Could probably do with another day or two rest.
I have only ever used this bean as part of a blend, so I don't really know what to expect from it
Steve

Post by Steve »

Damian wrote: Mon 16 Dec, 2019 5:26 pm 100g of Bazil Pulped Natural roasted with BrazilMed to 1.7
3 days rest - Pretty plain, mild coffee. No nasties. Could probably do with another day or two rest.
I have only ever used this bean as part of a blend, so I don't really know what to expect from it
Yeah i reckon 219C might be a bit light for that length depending on one's preferences. You can try higher numbers and if you want to keep the same time around 2:00 to 2:30, play around with the end point on the profile which should increase / decrease ROR in that last segment.

I've been testing a med - dark version of this where I have increased speed of entire roast slightly, finishing at much higher temp and 3:00 to 3:30 finish time or "development time". Getting into more of the old school caramel / choc bomb territory.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Latest and probably my final version for light to medium roasted Brazil.
Slightly faster roast overall, smooth curve.
Improved fan profile, much smoother / less dramatic and is giving me pretty smooth ROR for 100g batches on other profiles around the same roast times.
Brazil.kpro
(2.03 KiB) Downloaded 571 times
Angela

Post by Angela »

Thanks for this Steve, your efforts are much appreciated. Rushing to try it out now!
Steve

Post by Steve »

Angela wrote: Sat 21 Dec, 2019 10:24 pm Thanks for this Steve, your efforts are much appreciated. Rushing to try it out now!
Thanks
Angela

Post by Angela »

Steve,
I tried this on a Brazil Santos. I've not had much luck with this bean roasting around the upper 2 level. So I was keen to try this lower level profile.

I roasted at 1.8; (still hedging my bets you'll note!). I was surprised by the roasted bean colour; it was darker than I was expecting. From sight I would have said it was a mid to high level 2.

Now having had it around for a few days the only real taste differences I'm noticing are carbon notes in the crema of Americanos. I note the profile air flow drops below the Classic level at about 9 minutes; could this be the cause of the carbon taste at my higher 1.8 level than recommended 1.3?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi Angela,

The few times i have seen Brazil Santos they have been quite large / low grown / low density, is this the case?

If so that amount of extra time at the end of the roast with the declining fan profile could be a contributing factor coupled with (if) larger bean size than the Cerrado I used at lower level.

In general any roast where the sugars have peaked in caramelization and then prolongs the end stage with a flat or increasing ROR for too long will introduce carbon roasty notes depending on the type of bean. The last profile I posted was designed around 1:45 to 2:20 DEV time. For example a SHG Central American or high altitude Colombian can take a lot more in regards to dragging out the end of roast.

Alternatively play around with the end portion of the fan profile from first crack start onwards. I've found tweaking this to individual beans has greater impact on smoothing out the ROR if its all over the place or consistently falling under or over profile.
Angela

Post by Angela »

Steve, thanks for the useful feedback.

The Santos beans were a substitute, made by my supplier for Mogiana beans, and I don't know too much about them.

The beans are not large and their density is a good medium at 0.69g/cm3. I've got some Cerrado too that I've roasted on your profile and they do not have any carbon notes. I'll take your advice and play with the air.

There's just so much to play with!