Brazil medium espresso roast

Start a new topic for a new roast profile. Reply to an existing topic to enter your comments on the profile, or to attach minor variants.
Simon

Re: Brazil medium espresso roast

Post by Simon »

Hi Steve,

I would be keen to try a profile for a darker roast optimised version of this profile (4.5 to 4.9 or thereabouts) if you have one. I prefer my chocolate/licorice/caramel flavours to 'fruity' flavours. And I've been sourcing beans from Incafe, which as the name suggests are mostly Peruvian. So at least the same continent...

cheers
Simon
Steve

Post by Steve »

This is the kind of profile shape I have been working with the last month. Keeping the profile lines straighter giving more distinct "roast zones" the fan profile is pretty much the same as the original Brazil file but the end is adjusted for extended roast times.

Level 4.5 is around 2nd crack start and should be able to go up to 5.0
BrazilDark.JPG
BrazilDark.JPG (104.85 KiB) Viewed 6162 times
BrazilDark.klog
(84.61 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
BrazilDark.kpro
(2.1 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
Steve

Post by Steve »

Anyone using this should compare with the "Balance" profile found here https://kaffelogic.com/community/viewto ... p=985#p985

A good example of quite a baked roast = this profile vs one that is not.
Beanz

Post by Beanz »

Today, tried Brazil Cerrado with Steve's Brazil.kpro on default RL 1.3 - Day 3. The roast came out Med Light City...Pleasantly surprised, given it is only day 3 and how light the roast. smooth berry flavours with fruity aftertaste. 100gm bean in 85.9gm out 16.4% weight loss. 18gm,27secs,37gm.
log0012.png
log0012.png (47.92 KiB) Viewed 5264 times
log0028.klog
(81.52 KiB) Downloaded 270 times

Taking on board Ang's notes above re RL 1.8, will try at 1.5 next to add more depth and hope to avoid the carbon element.

I roasted another batch of Cerrado using BalanceV2.kpro at RL 4.2. This came out Full City Med Roast. It will be interesting to compare.100gm -> 84.5gm 18.34% loss

We are lucky to have Steve sharing his handy work here.
[Edited to replace correct Log screenshot] :oops:
Last edited by Beanz on Fri 05 Jun, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I have some Brazil Santos from Greenbeanhouse that has been unexceptional until I tried this Brazil.kpro profile. Roasted at 1.3 default after a few days it begins to become interesting. Drinking as espresso.
Beanz

Post by Beanz »

Gary - from what Angela was saying, the Santos seems to roast similar to the Cerrado?. Will you be trying a darker setting? And Is there another Profile and RL that you have found better for your espresso taste?
I have only had one try of the BalanceV2 at RL4.2 and didn't have the grind set right. It need to go coarser than the Brazil 1.3 setting. subsequently got espresso, 18g, 37s, 37.6g. It was overdone [my bad] but bodes well for when getting the grind right. btw both are now on Day 4 and have been left to age/rest without vacuum.
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Beanz wrote: Fri 05 Jun, 2020 12:43 pm Gary - from what Angela was saying, the Santos seems to roast similar to the Cerrado?. Will you be trying a darker setting? And Is there another Profile and RL that you have found better for your espresso taste?
I have only had one try of the BalanceV2 at RL4.2 and didn't have the grind set right. It need to go coarser than the Brazil 1.3 setting. subsequently got espresso, 18g, 37s, 37.6g. It was overdone [my bad] but bodes well for when getting the grind right. btw both are now on Day 4 and have been left to age/rest without vacuum.

I started darker with the default profile and have just settled on the default with this one now. It seems to improve over 3-4 days. I did rest some for a week but it had flattened right out by then..