Raost

Start a new topic for a new roast profile. Reply to an existing topic to enter your comments on the profile, or to attach minor variants.
TheBean

Re: Raost

Post by TheBean »

nrdlnd wrote: Sat 28 Aug, 2021 5:40 am Hi The Bean,

Damians D-profiles are very good but require a high voltage supply. I have tried the D-Light with good results when Iv'e had enough voltage even if it has been near the limits but some times not and with lesser result. I think the D-Raost is built on the D-profiles.
I’ve tried D-Roast, D-Raost and D-Raost v2, and all of them give me “low voltage” warning - Looks like these profiles made for high voltage users. Not sure how to tweak the profile to fix this issue. Is there an easy way to adjust the profile for lower voltage?
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

TheBean wrote: Sat 28 Aug, 2021 11:10 am
nrdlnd wrote: Sat 28 Aug, 2021 5:40 am Hi The Bean,

Damians D-profiles are very good but require a high voltage supply. I have tried the D-Light with good results when Iv'e had enough voltage even if it has been near the limits but some times not and with lesser result. I think the D-Raost is built on the D-profiles.
I’ve tried D-Roast, D-Raost and D-Raost v2, and all of them give me “low voltage” warning - Looks like these profiles made for high voltage users. Not sure how to tweak the profile to fix this issue. Is there an easy way to adjust the profile for lower voltage?
Greetings

The best way, whether right or wrong is to tapper off your fan profile to reduce the speed in the later part of roast. I’m sure Damian said with initial post for profile, that the fan speed is good to drive thru first crack, so try and reduce after FC to get your power down somewhat.

Cheers
G
benjaminfleon

Post by benjaminfleon »

Hey everyone! Sorry the late response! I've been launching a micro-roastery for the past few weeks, so not as much free time as I'd like to have...

TheBean wrote: Fri 27 Aug, 2021 10:59 am
Hi @benjaminfleon, I’ve tried yours D-Raost V2 and whilst I have the same voltage as yours, I still received the “low voltage” message - is it normal? Cheers.

I sometimes get that message, but doesn't seem to have any negative effect; at least with the D-Raost versions after V1. This could very well be due to my batch size (80 grams), which I would presume is easier to keep on the curve for the PID at that voltage, so I can't say for bigger batches.

All my profiles are designed for 80 gram batches (with the exception of the mini versions, which state their batch size specifically).

Right now I've been mostly roasting with the last version of the D-Raost and tweaking it for each specific coffee's behaviour. It's been a pretty good benchmark.

Regarding the last version of the Raost profile, it's definitely meant for faster and lighter roasts, which not all coffees are necessarily well suited for. Coffees that are not super consistent in their density/size, like blends from cooperatives or regions, instead of single-variety lots; as well as lower altitude coffees might do a lot better with profiles like Slow Raost.
benjaminfleon

Post by benjaminfleon »

Also, just wanted to show you a couple of logs!

I recently launched my micro-roastery here in Chile; it's called King Solomon Micro Roasters (@kingsolomoncoffee in instagram, if anybody wants to check it out).

I used slightly modified versions of D-Raost and Raost to roast a bunch of Geshas from NinetyPlus. All 80 gram batches, rehydrated up to 16% moisture.

This is one called Kemgin, modified D-Raost.
kemgin.png
kemgin.png (140.03 KiB) Viewed 7376 times
This one is Juliette, modified D-Raost.
juliette.png
juliette.png (130.29 KiB) Viewed 7376 times
And for one called Kambera, which is a heavilly fermented gesha, I opted for a slightly modified Raost:
kambera.png
kambera.png (123.2 KiB) Viewed 7376 times
That last one was the most challenging to roast, as it was very delicate, and also took up heat super easily.
nsolling

Post by nsolling »

Hi Benjamin,
Having been following this thread very closely it is nice to see some of your roast results.
Can you comment on the modifications you are making and why? Is it possible to post the logs apart from just the screen capture?

I am still trying to get my head around of the whole bost stuff, why we do it and when to do it and the theory behind the flat fan curve around FC

Good luck om the Micro roastery. Will you roast on the Nano only? Cool jars
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Hi all!
I made some modifications on the RaostV4 and I called it RaostV4PNmod. Now I roasted 100g Sidamo Bio washed bean. It didn't go so well on paper. I got a dip during FC and a flick when the beans became exothermic. Originally in the profile there are a power zone during FC (as in the original RaostV4). Apparently it is necessary to have the PID in this phase and I replaced the power zone with a positive boost during FC. This is the log:
100gSidamoBio_RaostV4PNmod-P.png
100gSidamoBio_RaostV4PNmod-P.png (62.62 KiB) Viewed 7215 times
My intention was to go for a DTR around 20% but it stopped at L=2.5 by itself at 15% DTR and a temp 215.1 deg C. It became a light roast that looks ok and is evenly roasted. It was a fast roast at 5:40. I think it's quite possible to go higher in both temp and DTR if you like it a little darker. Maybe up to L=3.0? ROR looks very nice this time.
I think this profile suits light roasts of high altitude hard washed beans especially well. It has not so high demands on voltage.

I attach the modified profile:
RaostV4PNmod-P.kpro
(2.33 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
And a picture of the beans (they are lighter in reality):
Sidamo_Bio_211002.JPG
Sidamo_Bio_211002.JPG (67.73 KiB) Viewed 7210 times
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

What I presented about 7 weeks ago was a very nice roast. I haven't been able to completely replicate this with other beans and I've had to make adjustments to get it "right" again but I have this profile saved so I can go back to it again. What I lately have found out is that it after some adjustments to get the ROR-curve ok I can use it on other beans also more low altitude beans for example Brazilians. The "preheat" on the profile I published was 1000W. For the Brazilian Fazenda Santa Alina (1100-1400m MASI) I lowered it to 940W. I had also previously made some changes to the boost zones with other beans so the boost zones are different. The roast is now a little slower and the end temp isn't as high (6:11 and 217.0 deg C). It's still a rather fast roast but a little slower than my original modifications. It became Med Light/Medium and evenly roasted. DTR about 20%. I still think it's very possible to use it for higher altitude harder beans but I think it's advantegous to raise the preheat then. I'm very surprised that it worked so well with this a lower altitude bean (but of good quality). It's probably "pulped natural" and I will try it with some Ethiopian naturals and see if they can take a little higher preheat.

What I've learned is this that it's important to make changes to the profile so you can get a nice falling ROR curve. Every bean is different! A relatively short profile like this is more sensitive to changes I think. I will come back with the taste. I give a link to the profile also but be prepared that you may need to modify it by yourself to your beans and your machine to get the best result! Try to get the ROR curve right! I can't explain why the power curve goes so much up and down in the first minute but it's probably the PID doing what it should do! I made two roasts but it doesn't in the other roast but the result is the same. Edit: The roasing level is 3.5. I haven't adjusted that in the profile.
211122_Brazil_FazSantaAlina2_RaostV4_PNmodP2_3.png
211122_Brazil_FazSantaAlina2_RaostV4_PNmodP2_3.png (67.63 KiB) Viewed 6886 times
RaostV4PNmodP2.kpro
(2.44 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
Last edited by nrdlnd on Tue 23 Nov, 2021 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBean

Post by TheBean »

nrdlnd wrote: Tue 23 Nov, 2021 1:12 pm What I presented about 7 weeks ago was a very nice roast. I haven't been able to completely replicate this with other beans and I've had to make adjustments to get it "right" again but I have this profile saved so I can go back to it again. What I lately have found out is that it after some adjustments to get the ROR-curve ok I can use it on other beans also more low altitude beans for example Brazilians. The "preheat" on the profile I published was 1000W. For the Brazilian Fazenda Santa Alina (1100-1400m MASI) I lowered it to 940W. I had also previously made some changes to the boost zones with other beans so the boost zones are different. The roast is now a little slower and the end temp isn't as high (6:11 and 217.0 deg C). It's still a rather fast roast but a little slower than my original modifications. It became Med Light/Medium and evenly roasted. DTR about 20%. I still think it's very possible to use it for higher altitude harder beans but I think it's advantegous to raise the preheat then. I'm very surprised that it worked so well with this a lower altitude bean (but of good quality). It's probably "pulped natural" and I will try it with some Ethiopian naturals and see if they can take a little higher preheat.

What I've learned is this that it's important to make changes to the profile so you can get a nice falling ROR curve. Every bean is different! A relatively short profile like this is more sensitive to changes I think. I will come back with the taste. I give a link to the profile also but be prepared that you may need to modify it by yourself to your beans and your machine to get the best result! Try to get the ROR curve right! I can't explain why the power curve goes so much up and down in the first minute but it's probably the PID doing what it should do! I made two roasts but it doesn't in the other roast but the result is the same.
211122_Brazil_FazSantaAlina2_RaostV4_PNmodP2_3.png
RaostV4PNmodP2.kpro
Hi @nrdlnd, I've noticed that your default DTR in the profile is 10% at the recommended roasting level or might missed something?
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Hi Mr Bean!
Sorry but the "default" roasting level to reach around 20% DTR is around L=3.5. I haven't adjusted that in the profile (I don't know how to do that :roll: ) This means that after my adjustments the profile is "slower". If you want to test the profile set L higher. If you intend to record 1st crack set L to about 4.0. If you want to stop around 20% DTR you will end around L=3.5 and a Medium Light/Medium roast.
TheBean

Post by TheBean »

nrdlnd wrote: Tue 23 Nov, 2021 1:57 pm Hi Mr Bean!
Sorry but the "default" roasting level to reach around 20% DTR is around L=3.5. I haven't adjusted that in the profile (I don't know how to do that :roll: ) This means that after my adjustments the profile is "slower". If you want to test the profile set L higher. If you intend to record 1st crack set L to about 4.0. If you want to stop around 20% DTR you will end around L=3.5 and a Medium Light/Medium roast.
Hi @nrdlnd, how was the last Brazil roast taste? Did you make any new successful profiles for other beans?