TEST Yemen Mokha profile 100g

Start a new topic for a new roast profile. Reply to an existing topic to enter your comments on the profile, or to attach minor variants.
Steve

TEST Yemen Mokha profile 100g

Post by Steve »

Untested profile idea for Yemen Mokha espresso med - dark

UPDATED: 4 test roasts this is what I finished up with, will need at least 10 - 14 days rest.
Profile file has been updated.
YemenSproTest4.JPG
YemenSproTest4.JPG (102.01 KiB) Viewed 7597 times
Y4.klog
(74.7 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
YemenSpro.kpro
(2.09 KiB) Downloaded 382 times
Last edited by Steve on Mon 03 May, 2021 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fnq

Re: TEST Yemen Mokha profile

Post by fnq »

Thanks for sharing. Cheers Darryl
Steve

Post by Steve »

No worries please see updated original post / roast profile.
Amberale

Post by Amberale »

Thanks Steve.
I’ll check this out as soon as I get my unit working again.
Jaybee

Re: TEST Yemen Mokha profile 100g

Post by Jaybee »

So is this the bean that beat the Nano?

I've been following the thread on Coffee Snobs too and tried a few roasts with various profiles. It has plenty of Yemen characteristics but has yet failed to inspire...

What your your collective thoughts? It's the only bean I have yet to dial into the usual Nano awesomeness!
Last edited by Jaybee on Tue 20 Jul, 2021 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fnq

Post by fnq »

Hi Jaybee

I have shelved this bean for the moment, for similar reasons. I haven't found ( ie used other suggested profiles) or made my own profile to extract the best from this bean. Perhaps some backward mapping from a known good profile from another roaster brand, then morphed into a Kaffelogic profile would help?

My totally non scientific ( and probably erroneous) feel is that this bean needs a significant thermal momentum but the small weight of the beans and the slightly shorter roast times required for the Nano make that sweet spot ( pun intended) elusive.
Jaybee

Post by Jaybee »

I've had another go. I've extended my Nano version i-coffee profile (My last machine's standard profile which worked well with this bean) out to 15 mins and am now in the kicking tires for a week or two phase. I did a couple of batches, so I'll start testing sooner rather than later.

The first time I tried this profile, it was shorter at about 10 mins long and never developed the bean properly, if this does better I may even stretch it again. Seems a very long time for this sort of roaster, but hey, desperate times... :lol:

Included are the curve and the profile to play with. Unfortunately the thumb drive died after the roast (of shock maybe) so I can't share the log.
I-coffee II Profile.jpg
I-coffee II Profile.jpg (139.18 KiB) Viewed 7169 times
Attachments
i-Coffee II.kpro
(2.08 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
Barry O'Speedwagon

Post by Barry O'Speedwagon »

There's always the possibility, of course, that not everybody likes the Yemen as much as others do. I'm about to open a couple of bags at about 12 days post-roast, about 100g roasted using the Raost at 1.8, which looks awful but I might be surprised. The other 200g is using Steve's MD3 at 3.0 which I've enjoyed before. I have at least half of my coffee with milk, so super light doesn't work for me.

EDIT: So, I tried the Raost V3 at 1.8 bag, and while it doesn't look the best the result is very pleasing as an espresso. Tomorrow I'll see whether that was a fluke.
Jaybee

Post by Jaybee »

Success :D

A bit early to have developed a full flavour profile, but the mouthfeel and body are superb with the latest 15min roast. Let's see where this bean goes over the next week or two (If it lasts that long!)
Pete

Post by Pete »

Hi Jaybee
Bit of a noob here, pretty new to the Nano.
I tried this profile today - it wouldn't work (!?).
The device kept stopping and warning me 'heat too fast, please check beans'.
I'm getting 232v, not sure if this has anything to do with it.
I tried maybe 3 times, on the last try it continued without warning, but at 4 minutes was still at 30º.
Any ideas what setting I can modify?

EDIT: just found the KL post referring to this error message. Maybe the Preheat power needs a look?