D-Roast

Start a new topic for a new roast profile. Reply to an existing topic to enter your comments on the profile, or to attach minor variants.
theiguanaoz

Re: D-Roast

Post by theiguanaoz »

Geronimo wrote: Sat 19 Sep, 2020 8:29 am
theiguanaoz wrote: Sat 19 Sep, 2020 12:43 am
Looking forward to trying D-roast this weekend. Downloaded and ready to go!
Hi Mr Iguana

You may have noticed in the thread on Damians D-Roast profile that it requires a good power supply nearer to 240 volts. If you don’t have good power supply it may flat line at the end of the roast with respect to power (depending on the roast level).

For myself with rubbish voltage I’ve had to taper off the fan speed profile slightly at around 10 minutes.

Hopefully you have a good supply and none of what I mentioned is an issue.

Cheers
Thank you! I have checked my roast logs thus far and the roaster reporting 239 volts. I’ve been fortunate to have no issues so far and will report back RE D Roast
TheBean

Post by TheBean »

Hi @Damian, I love your roast - great job! Recently I moved place the voltage here is on a lower end I get and error message “the voltage might be too low” and the recent roast took close to 30 mins (might be contributed by the lower ambient temperature of 15C).
I don’t have enough experience in the building roast profiles - will you be able to tweak your roast for lower voltage? Your help is much appreciated.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Just received my Nano recently, and tried some of the popular profiles on a PNG Konkua washed - including D-Roast.

Although this process was in no way scientific or rigorous, this was the only profile that delivered a roast without obvious baked tastes. Comparing all of them, the two main differences are that this profile uses a much faster fan speed (particularly later in the roast), and this profile is slower than the others. I suspect it's the fan speed that is the primary cause of removing the baked tastes, but I'm genuinely fumbling in the dark at the moment.

Thanks to Damian for sharing his profile, and more importantly to me, for sharing his rationale on why he shaped the profile like it is.
Flowta

Post by Flowta »

Hi all. Ive plumped on D-Roast (original) as my go to profile at level 4.5, and am getting results very satisfactory to me across a range of beans.
My most recent roast (log attached) however seemed to be going on far too long, getting towards 13.5 minutes and usually my roasts have been finishing before 12.5 minutes. Also, the finishing temp seemed to be lower than normal.
So I finished the roast manually at about 13 mins 20 seconds. Roast was OK.
Looking at the log the temperature indeed seems to be declining at the tail of the roast. I note the level seemed to have been set at 4.1 but I don't recall changing from 4.5 my normal level.
This was roast 3 back to back.
My questions are,
- is declining temperature normal or to be expected at the end of a roast?
- does this compromise the auto completion of the roast and if so could this be a problem if roast left unsupervised. ie would it have completed OK if I didn't intervene
- if not normal, what should I do about this?
Thanks for your comments.
Gary
Attachments
log0034.klog
(105.67 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
Mark

Post by Mark »

Looks to me like you're not getting enough power near the end of the roast. The power line is flat from about the 11.45 min mark. Suggest you read the entire thread regarding this profile and the points made about the required power.

Cheers Mark
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

Hi

I’ve got lower voltage, and had to tweak the fan profile to stop the power flat lining.

Cheers
G
Flowta

Post by Flowta »

Thanks Mark
Yeah, I kinda figured it was a power issue. But since almost all my previous roasts finished OK I suspect it might be an aberration in the power supply rather than the norm.
And hence my question.
Perhaps I should paraphrase. Would this extension of roast time have gone on indefinitely if I hadn't intervened? Or, is finishing temperature the sole criteria for roast completion? And if so, could this lead to a dangerous situation?
Regards, Gary
RafalD

Post by RafalD »

Hello

I need some gent person to verify mu logs , I'm fresch in roasters :):) don't see any flat power line, only at beageaning of roast are more gently than in profile in Damian oryginaly :):, be gratefully for any help
Attachments
log0004.klog
(104.13 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
alpacacoffeeroasters

Post by alpacacoffeeroasters »

RafalD wrote: Mon 03 Apr, 2023 11:22 pm Hello

I need some gent person to verify mu logs , I'm fresch in roasters :):) don't see any flat power line, only at beageaning of roast are more gently than in profile in Damian oryginaly :):, be gratefully for any help
For what I know ,It looks good, a bit low actual ROR at the beginning but I've seen that before without issues.
ecelis

Post by ecelis »

Has anyone used D-Roast with a 110-120V KL machine?
Esteban