Steve's Current Profiles 100g MAX

Start a new topic for a new roast profile. Reply to an existing topic to enter your comments on the profile, or to attach minor variants.
Steve

Steve's Current Profiles 100g MAX

Post by Steve »

As requested a separate thread with the profiles I am currently using and notes.
Will update here only from now on if things change.

PLEASE BE AWARE that I am on 240V power = a higher MAX available Watts which means can run higher RPM fan profiles.

I have fine tuned these 3 profiles to death and they all stay under 1400W, red circle on screenshots indicate the highest power reached during the roast.

All purpose washed is the infamous 10 min / 20% DTR / declining ROR.
Description:
Developed using various washed Central and South American 1300 - 1900 MASL

Default 2.3 (20%DTR) = Medium All Purpose roast good for all brewing styles.
Ideal range is around 2.0 - 2.7

If you have the extra available power can go around 3.0 MAX
WashedAP.JPG
WashedAP.JPG (134.4 KiB) Viewed 7817 times
WashedAPfanprofile.JPG
WashedAPfanprofile.JPG (54.53 KiB) Viewed 7817 times
WashedAllPurpose.kpro
(2.4 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
.................................................................................................................................

9 min Filter is overall faster with a slightly lighter finish.
Description:
Intended for filter brewing, faster overall time trying to maximise acidity / clean roast flavours 1.7 - 2.0
Default 2.3 = End of first crack + 10 to 15 seconds
Try with washed and natural high grown African, washed mid - high grown Colom / Central

Brewed with Clever dripper
18g dose / 300g water just off the boil
skim stir surface 3 times at 1 min
drain at 3 min
Total time 4:30

If you have the available power the DEV time can be extended to around 3.0 for more caramelization / less acids.
9minFilter.JPG
9minFilter.JPG (131.72 KiB) Viewed 7817 times
9minFilterFanProfile.JPG
9minFilterFanProfile.JPG (54.13 KiB) Viewed 7817 times
9minFilter.kpro
(2.57 KiB) Downloaded 378 times
.....................................................................................................................................

Darkside remains unchanged from previous posts.
5.4 is starting a rolling second crack
DarkSide5.4.JPG
DarkSide5.4.JPG (138.2 KiB) Viewed 7817 times
DarksideFanProfile.JPG
DarksideFanProfile.JPG (62.67 KiB) Viewed 7817 times
DarkSide.kpro
(2.41 KiB) Downloaded 367 times
Last edited by Steve on Tue 14 Jul, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beanz

Re: Steve's Current Profiles

Post by Beanz »

Fantastic Steve. Thank you. Just to clarify... My previous download of this DarkSide Profile had, on the Roast Profile Curve tab, the Recommended level at 5.4 237.4°C- Dark. The DarkSide profile attached here states RL 4.4 232.6°C Med Dark and other notes, elsewhere have RL 4.8. (Great notes within the 'About this profile tab" btw). I'm after a med-dark roast on Brazil Cerrado so will try this at 4.8 as the Brazil roast is a bit light, bright and fruity for my taste at RL 1.6.
Thanks for the awesome work
Steve

Post by Steve »

Yeah...sometimes things get saved different when im using for various things.

Brazil Cerrado at 4.8 should be good, like just on cusp of 2nd crack without cracking. Any darker "might" start picking up some ashy notes with soft Brazils. Even so, its only minor and can usually be mitigated via shorter espresso ratios.

Larger harder washed beans say like a Colombia Excelso taken to rolling 2nd around 5.4 can be quite interesting dark roast and basically most people that just request "strong coffee" should be served this.

Just keep working your way backwards or forwards 0.1 level till it tastes just how you like.
mr. bean

Post by mr. bean »

Thanks Steve! Very helpful : )
Beanz

Post by Beanz »

Brazil Cerrado, so far, working well with DarkSide at RL 4.8. Good rich dark chocolate espresso 18g, 27sec, 42gm - Great work. Thanks Steve.
Steve

Re: Steve's Current Profiles 100g MAX

Post by Steve »

Mostly been using the Mod Ninja for espresso while working on some new profiles.

Revisiting fast start / slow finish profiles closer to the shape of the KL Classic, with the aim of getting a properly developed CLEAN filter roast using grade 1 washed Ethiopian.

Majority of the experimentation has been tweaking fan profiles to give good agitation without producing high power values which I think are not great for filter, while also keeping the power profile moving along on a steady but shallow incline. Blind cupping suggests that its likely more important to have this incline occur from around 180 - 185C onward which I think is about the start of caramelisation.

The high power / steeper gradient profiles work pretty good for espresso but they lack severely when it comes to V60 and Clever dripper brews.

In the process also explored a slightly longer and darker espresso roast up to the start of 2nd crack maxing power at 1300W with minimal baking / ashy smokey defects with 3:20 DEV time + 25C.

So these 2 profiles are currently what I am drinking / tweaking and they are tasting pretty good. The filter roast is much better than anything I have done previously, big floral aromas and CLARITY of flavour.

EthGujiFilter.JPG
EthGujiFilter.JPG (124.5 KiB) Viewed 7134 times
EthGujiFilterFan.JPG
EthGujiFilterFan.JPG (58.29 KiB) Viewed 7134 times
Filter.kpro
(2.06 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
Espresso5.0SSC.JPG
Espresso5.0SSC.JPG (131.14 KiB) Viewed 7134 times
EspressoFan.JPG
EspressoFan.JPG (56.06 KiB) Viewed 7134 times
Espresso.kpro
(2.11 KiB) Downloaded 334 times
Beanz

Post by Beanz »

Steve, thanks for these two profiles and the explanation. I like the way you have thought about those of us who don't have the full 240v to play with too. Looking forward to trying the Espresso. Cheers
Steve

Post by Steve »

Beanz wrote: Sun 23 Aug, 2020 8:54 pm Steve, thanks for these two profiles and the explanation. I like the way you have thought about those of us who don't have the full 240v to play with too. Looking forward to trying the Espresso. Cheers
Thanks! The more I compare these roasts to previous profiles, the more I reckon this style is likely the optimum way to use the roaster due to its small overall mass. Matching really fast starts with the high airflow / agitation is quite possible without pushing the roaster to the absolute limit and the results in the cup suggest this is also a good thing.

If you look at the suggested Pre Heat values for these 2 profiles they are quite high but not necessary at all even with the high airflow start. Different beans may need slightly different preheat settings.

The filter is a washed grade 1 Ethiopian 2019, quite a hard, smallish dense bean and I arrived at the proper preheat power after a few roasts. Very short Dev time is stopped just at the peak of first crack, weight loss 12.6% and it is giving me the best V60 brews I have had from memory.

Espresso was SHB central with a washed India 50/50 = rich, syrup choc bomb.
abin.mahmoud

Post by abin.mahmoud »

Steve, thanks for sharing your profiles.
Any tips on waiting or resting time.
Is it different if I use a natural Ethiopian?
Steve

Post by Steve »

abin.mahmoud wrote: Mon 24 Aug, 2020 3:32 am Steve, thanks for sharing your profiles.
Any tips on waiting or resting time.
Is it different if I use a natural Ethiopian?
No worries.
I like to wait 3 days before trying filter and at least 5 days espresso. That being said if you can seal up some for 10 days before first use you are in for a treat and will still be tasty a week later.

Ethiopian natural should be great they love a fast roast with short Dev time. I have a 2019 grade 1 that I plan on trying this week.