Ninja Turtle

Start a new topic for a new roast profile. Reply to an existing topic to enter your comments on the profile, or to attach minor variants.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Ninja Turtle

Post by kaffelogic »

This is a version of the Ninja profile that slows down after it reaches 185 deg C to stretch out development and improve complexity. A very versatile profile that features a 'ninja kick' at the start with a medium slow down after first crack. Good for dense beans, but also suits some low density beans particularly well.
ninjaturtle.kpro
(2.09 KiB) Downloaded 912 times
mr. bean

Re: Ninja Turtle

Post by mr. bean »

Hi, I'm very new to the Kaffelogic, so yet to actually try these uploaded profiles. Just having a look around at what's available and how to use the software etc.
With the Ninja Turtle, the slow down after less than a minute and then picking up after 2 minutes appears to make the rate of rise drop very sharply then increase again, before decreasing. My memory of Scott Rao's 'rules' of roasting was to never make the rate of rise increase during a roast. Is that an issue here, or am I missing something? (Or just not remembering Roa's rules!?)
Cheers, matt
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

mr. bean wrote: Tue 24 Mar, 2020 5:06 pm Hi, I'm very new to the Kaffelogic, so yet to actually try these uploaded profiles. Just having a look around at what's available and how to use the software etc.
With the Ninja Turtle, the slow down after less than a minute and then picking up after 2 minutes appears to make the rate of rise drop very sharply then increase again, before decreasing. My memory of Scott Rao's 'rules' of roasting was to never make the rate of rise increase during a roast. Is that an issue here, or am I missing something? (Or just not remembering Roa's rules!?)
Cheers, matt
Scott Rao does indeed call for a steadily falling ROR. He also says that you must ignore the ROR for the the first approx 2 mins of the roast because during that time the typical temperature probe is not reading anything close to bean surface temperature. In the Kaffelogic during the first couple of minutes, without a true preheat, the temperature probe more-or-less does the opposite to what it does in a typical roaster with preheat. Another of Rao's principles is that you must apply plenty of heat very early in the roast. That is what the Ninja 'kick' at the start of the profile is doing. The slowdown that you have commented on after less than a minute is something that some profile designers would avoid, but at this time we have very little data on whether it makes things better or worse. I have found that I get good results using it. In addition, the steadily falling ROR is connected to chemical processes that have not commenced prior to the roast reaching 120 deg C. Some users have found that the ROR can go all over the place prior to 120 deg C without having a detrimental effect on the coffee, yet at the same time confirming even small dips or flatlines in the ROR having severely detrimental effects later in the roast.
mr. bean

Post by mr. bean »

Thanks! Very helpful : )
SniffCoffee

Post by SniffCoffee »

This profile is really good. Compared to the standard profile, the beans are much more fragrant in the degassing process and in the cup. It's now my default profile.

James
Damian

Post by Damian »

Thanks Chris, I'm about to give this profile a try.
What load are you roasting?

I like to roast 110g, it works out well for my typical 18g pucks.
looking at your fan curve, it is quite a bit lower than I typically use, I'm concerned the been may not tumble well enough, and as I'm using expensive beans, I thought I might check with you first rather than suck and see.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

Damian wrote: Thu 14 May, 2020 1:05 pm Thanks Chris, I'm about to give this profile a try.
What load are you roasting?

I like to roast 110g, it works out well for my typical 18g pucks.
looking at your fan curve, it is quite a bit lower than I typically use, I'm concerned the been may not tumble well enough, and as I'm using expensive beans, I thought I might check with you first rather than suck and see.
Hi Damian
I usually load between 100g and 120g, most often loading by volume and most often to the middle of that range. I'm happy with the bean circulation, however you could create a 'turbo' variant with the same profile curve and a little more fan speed. I tend to keep fan speeds low to allow for the situation where supply voltage is suboptimal - if you have good steady voltage then you could tweak the fan speed up safely.

I would always throw a batch of cheap beans through to confirm the profile etc before roasting the expensive beans.

Cheers
Chris
Damian

Post by Damian »

Thanks Chris, I tried the profile as is, I like to experience how they are intended before messing with them.

The beans appeared to tumble ok , but I found a few burnt beans, so I think flow was borderline at the start, a little boost might help for me. Other than that the roast was very even.
I will likely change the fan curve for myself, particularly if I use it for Yemen or some heavy small beans.

I can't really give any comparison feedback. I used a bean I have not tasted before, but it did a good job with them.
I've had these beans "Panama Rati Hartmann Black Honey" for some time, never expected much of them, but considering how good they were 30 minutes after roasting, I'm excited.

Thanks for the FW and app updates too. All working well for me
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

Damian wrote: Thu 14 May, 2020 6:34 pm Thanks for the FW and app updates too. All working well for me
Thanks for the feedback - see https://kaffelogic.com/community/viewto ... 1002#p1002 for details of a recent bugfix
Damian

Post by Damian »

Thanks