Ninja Turtle

Start a new topic for a new roast profile. Reply to an existing topic to enter your comments on the profile, or to attach minor variants.
Beanz

Re: Ninja Turtle

Post by Beanz »

SniffCoffee wrote: Wed 13 May, 2020 11:25 am This profile is really good. Compared to the standard profile, the beans are much more fragrant in the degassing process and in the cup. It's now my default profile.

James
Thanks for this feedback James. I would be interested to know which Origin/Bean you have found best for this profile? I'm assuming it is with espresso and after aging, say, 3 - 4 days?
Haryoadil

Post by Haryoadil »

Hi Everyone. I am entirely new to using the Nano and found that espresso from fresh beans is fantastic, full of flavour. My favourite roast profile is this new TURTLE NINJA because it boosts the character of the beans from my country, Indonesia.

But I have a problem, after several times using this profile, now my Nano makes a whistling sound anytime I use the machine, with any roast profile. The whistle sounds more quite at higher fan speed. Is there anything I can do to repair it since I am not in NZ anymore? I bought the Nano because I miss coffee in NZ very much, since most of coffee bean in here are roasted in medium to dark.
Dane

Post by Dane »

Haryoadil wrote: Thu 18 Jun, 2020 5:07 pm But I have a problem, after several times using this profile, now my Nano makes a whistling sound anytime I use the machine, with any roast profile. The whistle sounds more quite at higher fan speed. Is there anything I can do to repair it since I am not in NZ anymore?
A good start is to ask questions for issues like this in this area here: https://kaffelogic.com/community/viewforum.php?f=6

Or even better, get in touch directly via: [email protected]

Good luck!

(I'll soon be roasting some Indonesian Java Robusta once I find the right profile.)
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Hi,
I'm still new to this machine but trying to gain experience. The Ninja Turtle profile has got such rave reviews that I started with it instead of the "Classic". I've tried it with four different beans. It worked very well with samples of Sumatra Lintong and a Colombian. I've tried it with two different Brazilians and they seem much "harder" to roast; they become lighter at the same setting of L. 1C were normal at 7:30-8 min. I'm afraid they will become baked and bitter if I prolong L to much. What profile is recommended for Brazilians with a development time around 20-25%? I do mainly roast for espresso and it must not be acidic as that is undrinkable for me.
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

I may try this one by Steve for Brazil: https://kaffelogic.com/community/viewto ... p=573#p572 (Hoostest3.klog). It looks really good and I hope it tastes good also!
SniffCoffee

Post by SniffCoffee »

Beanz wrote: Sat 16 May, 2020 10:28 pm
SniffCoffee wrote: Wed 13 May, 2020 11:25 am This profile is really good. Compared to the standard profile, the beans are much more fragrant in the degassing process and in the cup. It's now my default profile.

James
Thanks for this feedback James. I would be interested to know which Origin/Bean you have found best for this profile? I'm assuming it is with espresso and after aging, say, 3 - 4 days?
I've been mixing it up each time, so can't say I've settled on a particular bean. It is for espresso and I try to let them age at least 5-6 days after roasting.
theiguanaoz

Post by theiguanaoz »

New user here, I'm loving the KL and this morning roasted some Guatemalan Huehuetenango and really enjoyed my espresso - one of the nicest I've had all year, in fact! I used this very profile and am now roasting the rest of the sample that came with my KL as this will be my bean for the next few days.

As someone new to roasting I'd love to understand why this profile works so well, and tastes so delicious off the roast. From what I've read so far, the Guatemalan bean appears quite dense - i know because it half filled the scopp at 120gms! And I know KL said in the original post that this profile suits dense beans. Cheers, Shaun
EagleMick

Post by EagleMick »

After reading all the posts about this profile I decided to run a side by side comparison on a nice blend I found on a coffee forum. The blend is 43 Ethiopia Limmu, 29 PNG Wahgi, 14 Panama Volcan Baru, 14 Monsoon Malabar Gold. Roasted on 3.5 Ninja Turtle and 3.5 1500-2000.

I have to say that after 7 days rest the 1500-2000 blend is better with our flat whites. The Ninja Turtle blend is coming off as bitter in comparison. Alas, after making 400 grams of each on 10/4 I'm nearly out so won't be able to see if they change over a longer timeline!