Steady and Dark

Start a new topic for a new roast profile. Reply to an existing topic to enter your comments on the profile, or to attach minor variants.
nrdlnd

Re: Steady and Dark

Post by nrdlnd »

This is a very special and interesting profile. Others have reported good results with Brazil Naturals. This profile has worked well for me too with Brazilian Naturals. The result was a little too dark for my taste at default L=4.8. DTR was around 25% but it was rather dark. I have lowered L to 4.4 and now it became more medium dark with DTR about 21.5%. Makes god espresso.

My thought is that this rather "slow" profile is good for lower density beans like Brazil Naturals. I have seen only a very small tendency to tipping on some beans and I'm not sure it's enough to call a defect. The beans are very evenly roasted inside. My thought is that this profile may work well with preblended beans. I have just roasted a blend with 50% Monsooned Malabar, 25% Brazil Natural, 15% Ethiopian Sidamo and 10% Monsooned Robusta at L=4.4. The monsooned beans have a very low density so my thought was that they could work well with this profile. All beans of the blend became at least medium dark. I have cut some beans and as always with this profile they are very evenly roasted. I couldn't hear a distinct 1C. The end temperature was 232.2 degC at 14:52. I will make an espresso with this blend tomorrow.
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

nrdlnd wrote: Thu 06 Aug, 2020 11:17 am This is a very special and interesting profile. Others have reported good results with Brazil Naturals. This profile has worked well for me too with Brazilian Naturals. The result was a little too dark for my taste at default L=4.8. DTR was around 25% but it was rather dark. I have lowered L to 4.4 and now it became more medium dark with DTR about 21.5%. Makes god espresso.
Hi

Interesting.

Do you think you'll have enough left to be able to test at around day 5 to 7?

Cheers
G
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

@ Geronimo: Do you think you'll have enough left to be able to test at around day 5 to 7?

My dose for a double espresso is 17g. The 100g batch will make about 5 doses so it's possible to test it at day 5 to 7. The test today was so-so but I think it will become better. This blend with Monsooned Malabar will need more experiments. I think the recipe for "Malabar Gold" is a secret. The only thing I know is that it may have 50-70% Malabar. Then it's supposed to have some Indian Robusta + some other beans to get more floral qualities.

Edit: I did also taste the Brazil Yellow Bourbon and it was good. A long aftertaste of cocoa. There were a few tippings but it seems difficult to completely avoid with Brazil Naturals.
Beanz

Post by Beanz »

Question for Wayne, or Chris, has the Steady and Dark II been replaced by your Super dark v1.0.kpro?

@nrdlnd - I read on another thread here Wayne's comments re 0-1200 Rest v1.0.kpro "The profile is created through an average based of roasting Brazil Santos and Brazil Cerado and 3 other super low altitude origins" and wonder whether that is worth a shot by way of comparison?
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Beanz wrote: Sat 08 Aug, 2020 10:42 am @nrdlnd - I read on another thread here Wayne's comments re 0-1200 Rest v1.0.kpro "The profile is created through an average based of roasting Brazil Santos and Brazil Cerado and 3 other super low altitude origins" and wonder whether that is worth a shot by way of comparison?
Yes I will try the same bean with 0-1200 Rest that I got a good result with Steady&Dark II with L=4.4. With my roaster there were a tendency to tipping on some beans not all. Not as much as @Geronimo in another thread.
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Day three (actually 60 hours rest) with my Monsooned Malabar blend. The first test after 12 hours wasn't very promising rather bitter and unbalanced. I do only test as espresso as the blend is made for that.
Now after 2½ day there is a great difference! The bitterness is almost completely gone. It has a lot of dark tones including cacao but also wooden tones. It has also a citrus acidity that is rather nice. It must come from the Sidamo. I will add that there are a lot of crema. I will wait another couple of days for the next test.
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

@Beanz: Question for Wayne, or Chris, has the Steady and Dark II been replaced by your Super dark v1.0.kpro?

A very good question!
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

A new tasting report of the Monsooned Malabar blend:
108 hours: Brewed as a double espresso. Balanced even when cooled. Dominating cacao and with a long aftertaste of cacao. The citrus acidity has gone but it still has a nice acidity (not too much). Sweeter compared to 60 hours rest. A little less crema this time.
Another observation is that it's necessary to grind finer (about two steps with the Niche Zero). It has to do with the lower density of the Malabar. I do also notice a little more retention with the NZ about 0.1 g more. I have two "doses" left of the roast.
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

nrdlnd wrote: Sun 09 Aug, 2020 1:38 am @Beanz: Question for Wayne, or Chris, has the Steady and Dark II been replaced by your Super dark v1.0.kpro?

A very good question!
There is no answer yet but these two profiles are rather different. Steady&Dark II has less preheat and a delayed first crack and an extended roasting process. I see them as different profiles. The SuperDark also has a rather high DTR (extended DT). I've had some very good results with the Steady&Dark II so I will continue using it but not for very dark roasts (It's not "my cup of coffee" :) ).
Beanz

Post by Beanz »

nrdlnd - great observation and feedback. Thanks. I'm working my way back to dark. My very first roast was Colombia Melky Chevaz with k-logic classic at RL 4.0 and it tasted burnt to me. Infact, they improved with much aging but I never did get to finish them. Since then I've erred to lighter roasts but am too often getting grassy fruity flavours whereas I'm trying to get to caramel/chocolate. Thanks for your work here