Light

Start a new topic for a new roast profile. Reply to an existing topic to enter your comments on the profile, or to attach minor variants.
Steve

Light

Post by Steve »

Have used this on washed Colombian, Panama, couple of Ethiopian naturals and a Geisha.
All of which roasted well on the stock profile, no control boosts needed.

Batch size 100g
Filter roast or light - medium espresso roast with extended development.
Sweet, clean and balanced with a touch of caramel on longer development times.
Level 0.4 to 1.0 = approx 40 sec + 3°C to 2:11 + 9°C from first crack start depending on bean.
Manual stopping of roast may be required to hit specific targets.
Colombia.JPG
Colombia.JPG (89.12 KiB) Viewed 7867 times
Panama.JPG
Panama.JPG (91.2 KiB) Viewed 7867 times
Light.kpro
(2.48 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
Last edited by Steve on Mon 23 Dec, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Angela

Re: Light

Post by Angela »

Thanks for another one Steve. I must be starting s l o w this morning; it must have taken me a whole 5 minutes to realise the meaning of "Power 0.4 to 1.0 = approx 40 sec to 2:11 development time from first crack start depending on bean." Level 0.4 to 1.0 - silly me!
Steve

Post by Steve »

Probably right, level is the correct nomenclature.
Steve

Post by Steve »

This profile is Baked do not use.
litoshfobaco

Post by litoshfobaco »

Hi Steve,

what exactly do you mean by "is baked".
Does it create baked flavors in the roast?

>john
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi John,

Describing baked in coffee is kind of like describing a colour to someone who has never seen it before.
At its best, only a little baked might be a general flatness to the cup, acidity is subdued and there will be bitterness in varying levels depending on a multitude of things but otherwise its drinkable coffee, I would put this profile in that category.

At its worst, baked coffee has a terrible smell about it which clings to roast bags and the air when ground.
Very flat, lifeless, very bitter and harsh off flavours which persist for some time.

My many many experiments and cupping has lead me to believe that the black power profile line needs to be steadily increasing throughout the entire roast. In this profile it taps out around 6 min, starts to go flat and then slowly descends towards the end, baking the roast.

I have just posted my latest dark roast roast profile and more detailed thoughts on the above. You could try it at lower Level for something more med - light. https://kaffelogic.com/community/viewto ... p=975#p975

If you really want to chase the rabbit grab a roast defect kit next time one is available.

Cheers

https://regaliacoffee.com/products/thekit
Steve

Post by Steve »

LightSide.kpro
(2.15 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
A much better reasonably paced light roast.
May need 1450W available power to complete unless beans are washed before hand using this method.
http://christopherferan.com/2020/02/18/ ... o-a-sauna/
TimmiLatte

Post by TimmiLatte »

Hi Steve,

I have just tried to use your LightSide profile and I have the low power issue. It says it requires 240volts and apparently I only have 236 volts available to draw from. I have checked the log and it doesn't quite max the power available, but it's just annoying always having the low power warning on every roast. I don't know how to adjust the power output on the profile to bring it under the 236 available volts so I don't get the warning though. How would you resolve this?

Thanks in advance for your help :-)
Attachments
log0016.klog
(76.29 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
Steve

Post by Steve »

Try using the AllPurpose washed profile in the other thread. With 236V and 95g batch size you should have enough room to play around with letting first crack finish, then waiting 10sec, 15sec, 20sec etc stopping the roast manually and finding your sweet spot.

Depending on the green you are using the AP profile might actually end up lighter than using the faster profile. The faster profile works well for example on dense high grown Eth naturals. But use an El Salv grown at much lower alt and it will be overdone...
If you do not have the Voltage to pull it off it will be baked then it does not matter what you use.

https://kaffelogic.com/community/viewto ... ?f=2&t=180