Firestarter

Start a new topic for a new roast profile. Reply to an existing topic to enter your comments on the profile, or to attach minor variants.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Re: Firestarter

Post by kaffelogic »

Depends on what you are trying to achieve. Maximize the linger time of the air by lowering the airflow as far as possible. This will do several things. It will maximize the effect of the smoke on the taste i.e. maximize smokiness as far as you can in an air roaster. It will allow maximum interaction between bean and air, i.e. when beans are exothermic they will have more opportunity to heat the air and this changes the thermal dynamics. It also brings probe temperature closer to bean surface temperature. Do the opposite, i.e. minimize the linger time of the air by increasing airflow, to achieve the opposite: minimum smokiness and more opportunity to coerce the beans to match air temperature. It will also take probe temperature further above bean surface temperature. Better circulation will also help with evenness of the roast. In short, faster equals cleaner. As a rule cleaner is sought after unless you are seeking to replicate the drum roster experience. The only caveat is that the air entry temperature is ultimately limited by heating power. If you push the air speed up to the max and leave it there in a Kaffelogic Nano 7 you will find there isn't enough power to achieve final roasting temperatures - and you might find roasted beans get into the chaff collector. But there is nothing stopping you pushing it as far as you can get away with. You can also use dramatic changes in air speed during the roast if desired. The default air profile was built with the idea of driving the air as slowly as possible at all times (although there has been some success reported with even lower air speeds for users running on 220V). There is plenty of scope for you to build air profiles with the idea of driving the air as fast as possible within the confines of the power available to heat the air. Especially profiles that start with low power requirements have scope for starting with more air. This is exactly what Steve is working on here https://kaffelogic.com/community/viewto ... p=573#p573 and from his reports he is getting superb results. There is still plenty of unexplored territory here.
Femelle

Post by Femelle »

i need help with a much more basic issue. After reading this thread I'm wanting to try the fire starter profile with some Colombian Volcan Galeras beans. After I download the profile, when I try to copy it to the stick I get a message the the desired rate of rise is currently set at 1C/min and that the recommended setting for this profile curve is 0.2C. I am told to lower the minimum desired ROR to 0.2 or lower. Then I'm asked whether I'd like to follow that recommendation.

I hit yes, because why not? The profile pops up and I receive a warning: The selected yellow control point needs to be moved further away from its profile point, or use the smooth point tool.

I'm lost. I don't know what this means or how much further away the yellow point needs to go. Nor do I know what the smooth point tool might be able to achieve.

Any advice?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 15.01.32.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 15.01.32.png (95.3 KiB) Viewed 7309 times
VladP

Post by VladP »

@Femelle > this is caused by the fact that the your used profile has a RoR of zero at the end of the roast.
Just change the curve, targeting a RoR of, for example 1 at the end of the curve, then input a value lower than 1 in the parameters table, and all will be good.
Or just ignore the error message, and do your roast, which you'll stop manually at any desired roast level.
Femelle

Post by Femelle »

Thanks @VladP. I’m planning on a roasting session tomorrow so I’ll do as you suggest and give it a go.

I went back to the KL companion earlier today and found a bit more information on minimum RORs so I’m starting to get a glimmer of understanding. It seems to take a lot for the science to sink in. Your response was a welcome practical application of the theory I’ve been reading.
Femelle

Post by Femelle »

Well I did finally do a roast of Colombian Volcan Galeras using Firestarter. It all went without a hitch and there will definitely be more. I went to L3.4 and tasted it alongside the same bean roasted at 1200-1500 L3.6.
My notes show more spice, a very clean taste, generally more character than the MASL as a SO.

I also blended it with Sulawesi Blue (50/50) and with equal parts Volcan, Sulawesi and Elephant Hills.
With the Sulawesi Blue I was getting cocoa, almonds and a slight winey character, the Elephant Hills added a ‘roundness’ which showed up better with milk. As a black I preferred the 50/50 blend.

Anyway, plenty there to like and I’m looking forward to exploring this roast with other beans.
theiguanaoz

Post by theiguanaoz »

I love this profile - I keep coming back to it. Certainly my favourite for espresso as I like mine more developed than what I am able to buy. I certainly get some great results around 3.2
ecelis

Post by ecelis »

Just tried this profile with 100g of Kenya Kiruga (from Sweet Maria's) at a L3.0 using a US KL roaster (110-120V). Color seems a little too dark for a medium roast. Roast lasted 9:03 min hot and 3:50 min cool. Will try it with my Decent Espresso machine in a couple of days.
Attachments
IMG_1016.jpeg
IMG_1016.jpeg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 5937 times
Esteban
Femelle

Post by Femelle »

They do look darker then mine usually do. It might be the screen of course. Let us know how they drink.
beantacos

Post by beantacos »

I keep coming back to this profile for my light roasted espresso beans. I've tried so many different profiles (Raost v5, Adaptive, Roast, base profiles) but find this to be a great starting profile. I understand that if you want light and fruity flavors, shorter time is better but still find this to be ideal as I often get too grassy or underdeveloped flavors with shorter roasts with FC before 6min.

On a separate note, great videos by Rob Hoos (cocreator of this profile) on YouTube worth watching.
Valentine81

Post by Valentine81 »

Hello, I roasted a batch of Brazilian Santos beans using your Firestarter profile. My beans had 700g/l density, and a grown altitude of 850-1100 metres. Why I have a temperature increase at the end of my roasting? what I have to change, to tweak to make the curve following the profile?
log0044.klog
(85 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
FC occurred at 7:13min and I manually stopped the roasting when the final temperature reached 228.3°C because I planned to stop the roasting at about 224°C so I continued the roasting process till my ROR hitted at least 20% of development. Any advice to improve this profile using this Brazilian Santos beans? What I have to change? Can someone please tell me some advice?