LARGE BEANS Profile (AAA, 20 screen size)

Share your tasting notes and evaluation of the beans you have roasted, plus evaluation of the different profiles you have used.
TheBean

LARGE BEANS Profile (AAA, 20 screen size)

Post by TheBean »

Hi KL fellows,

I've got Nicaragua Mombacho AAA (20 screen size) beans which quite large to start with then double in size during the roasting. Because they're so large and heavy, they barely move inside the KL, especially few minutes into a roasting. What roasting profile would you recommend to use to get more even roast? Many thanks in advance!
Geronimo

Re: LARGE BEANS Profile (AAA, 20 screen size)

Post by Geronimo »

Hi

As an aside I wonder if you could try increasing your fan speed to keep the same weight of beans and get adequate circulation.

Cheers
G
fnq

Post by fnq »

Hi

You could try the robusta profile , they are large beans also
TheBean

Post by TheBean »

Geronimo wrote: Wed 18 Aug, 2021 3:10 pm Hi

As an aside I wonder if you could try increasing your fan speed to keep the same weight of beans and get adequate circulation.

Cheers
G
What fan speed would you recommend? BTW, is there any a shortcut to increase the fan speed without changing the profile file? Cheers.
TheBean

Post by TheBean »

fnq wrote: Wed 18 Aug, 2021 3:46 pm Hi

You could try the robusta profile , they are large beans also

I've tried it but not much movement either: it looks like Robusta profile has the same fan speed as others (1470rpm).
fnq

Post by fnq »

I am just throwing around suggestions here..... no information or experience to back it up- just guesswork.

You could pull the batch size down to say 70 gms? - I think i have read in this forum somewhere that trials of down to 60 gms seem to still allow profile following?????
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

TheBean wrote: Wed 18 Aug, 2021 7:37 pm
Geronimo wrote: Wed 18 Aug, 2021 3:10 pm Hi

Cheers
G
What fan speed would you recommend? BTW, is there any a shortcut to increase the fan speed without changing the profile file? Cheers.
Hi

Have a look at the fan calibration blurb here. I’d try putting 100g of beans in, go into fan calibration mode and increase the speed (but don’t go beyond 1.0) to the point you’ve got adequate circulation. I’d eye ball one of your normal beans you use to see what sort of movement you are getting with them, then put your big beans in and bump up the speed.

Remember to put back when roasting your normal beans. Note the calibration number before changing.

https://kaffelogic.com/home/blog/calibr ... -fan-speed

Cheers
G
TheBean

Post by TheBean »

fnq wrote: Fri 20 Aug, 2021 10:44 am I am just throwing around suggestions here..... no information or experience to back it up- just guesswork.

You could pull the batch size down to say 70 gms? - I think i have read in this forum somewhere that trials of down to 60 gms seem to still allow profile following?????
Will try and let know how it went. Cheers
benjaminfleon

Post by benjaminfleon »

Hey!

You could try this profile I came up with a couple of days ago. It's meant for 60 grams and it's been working quite well. It's a "mini version" of the D-Raost profile.
Mini D-Raost.kpro
(2.06 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
minidraost.png
minidraost.png (119.24 KiB) Viewed 6123 times

Let us know how it goes!
TheBean

Post by TheBean »

TheBean wrote: Fri 20 Aug, 2021 3:53 pm
fnq wrote: Fri 20 Aug, 2021 10:44 am I am just throwing around suggestions here..... no information or experience to back it up- just guesswork.

Will try and let know how it went. Cheers
Hi @nfq, the beans I’ve tried are Indian Monsoon (large but light) and the KL cup filled up is around 75g. It worked well with them but not so much with bigger and heavier beans such as Nicaragua Mombacho AA. Fan set to 0.91.