LARGE BEANS Profile (AAA, 20 screen size)

Share your tasting notes and evaluation of the beans you have roasted, plus evaluation of the different profiles you have used.
TheBean

Re: LARGE BEANS Profile (AAA, 20 screen size)

Post by TheBean »

benjaminfleon wrote: Tue 07 Sep, 2021 4:48 am Hey!

You could try this profile I came up with a couple of days ago. It's meant for 60 grams and it's been working quite well. It's a "mini version" of the D-Raost profile.

Mini D-Raost.kpro

minidraost.png

Let us know how it goes!
Hi @benjaminfleon,

Thank you for the min profile. I've roasted few batches and got mixed results.

India Monsoon, 60gr (very light beans; roasted beans look pale):
India Monsoon, 60gr.png
India Monsoon, 60gr.png (113.17 KiB) Viewed 6054 times
Nicaragua AA, 60gr (very large & heavy beans; centre of the beans barely moves during the roast; roasted beans vary in colour):
Nicaragua AA, 60gr.png
Nicaragua AA, 60gr.png (111.8 KiB) Viewed 6054 times
The fan speed set to 0.91
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

TheBean wrote: Thu 09 Sep, 2021 7:08 pm
Nicaragua AA, 60gr (very large & heavy beans; centre of the beans barely moves during the roast; roasted beans vary in colour):

Nicaragua AA, 60gr.png

The fan speed set to 0.91
Hi

I haven’t back read recent previous comments relating to large beans, but with the heavier beans, have you tried a higher fan speed calibration factor. I assume you know what to do to increase the global fan speed calibration factor. Without going through a proper calibration I just wing it initially. For instance I put the weighed amount of beans in roaster, enter fan calibration, then increase speed till I get adequate circulation as per the normal beans you roast. Save it. Then run the roast. Of course remember to change back afterwards.

When you get something a bit more even, then you could mess around with the fan profile. In fact as a first port of call, I’d use the “Transform Profile” on the tools menu, and in the RPM field, input something like 1.1 or less. That will shift the entire fan profile upwards (if using an existing profile). As long as the highest fan speed isn’t over 17000 rpm. If I was tweaking I’d not go over 16500 approx, so I’m not running at maximum load so to speak. (Wear and tear).

Food for thought.

Cheers
G
TheBean

Post by TheBean »

So, I’ve tried almost every single KL & forum popular profiles, tried to adjust fan speed but it looks like KL can’t handle these large beans: they won’t move at all for the first 3 minutes then barely move. I’ve reduced batch size down to 50gr but still no good results. Over 2kg of roasting, a lot of bad coffee… Any suggestions?
TheBean

Post by TheBean »

At the end, I've reduced batch size to 80g and increased fan speed profile in individual roasting profiles.
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Hi The Bean!
I have some bigger beans like Magaroype that I haven't tried yet. Big Monsooned Malabar I think will work with ordinary profiles as the beans are very light. D-Roast and D-Light will probably work but they are not optimal if you don't have 240V. The initial fan speed of these profiles are 1570 rpm. It is possible to increase the fan speed to this value in the beginning and even higher as the power requirement isn't very high in the beginning. I have adapted the fan speed of D-Light especially at the end of the roast but also in the beginning where I lowered it to 1540 rpm as in many other profiles. This could be higher for bigger beans.
TheBean

Post by TheBean »

Hi @nrdlnd D-roast didn't work for me because of 240v requirement and I couldn't reduce fan speed to compensate on it. The beans I had were between 1.5g and 2g each - large and heavy, so reduced weight and increased fan speed worked quite well.