Ethiopia Sidamo Ardi

Share your tasting notes and evaluation of the beans you have roasted, plus evaluation of the different profiles you have used.
Amberale

Ethiopia Sidamo Ardi

Post by Amberale »

Hey folks.
I’m currently drinking this as an Americano with a dash of milk(just slurped the last drops out of the cup actually).
I roasted a 110g batch on a Ninja Turtle profile @ 3.0 with a 17.5% weight loss.
It is lovely and has brought out a sweetness and breadth of flavour that I haven't achieved with this bean on previous roasts.
Yochiya

Re: Ethiopia Sidamo Ardi

Post by Yochiya »

Thanks for the share,

I cupped some Ardi using the MASL 1500 - 2000 2.8, filter origin, ninja turtle 2.5 and Raost v4.

All were cupped at about 5 days rest, the Raost was definitely my preferred profile followed by Ninja Turtle and then MASL.

The Raost worked really well for Espresso as a longer pull. Not sure it holds up too well against milk.

I tried it as a filter as was surprisingly good. A lower roast level will probably yield better results.
Wynton87

Post by Wynton87 »

After extensive reading about the Raost profile(s) I was quite excited to try them out on the Ethiopian Sidamo Ardi, which smells amazing as just as greens!

I was quite underwhelmed though tbh.

Roasting for espresso;

I tried the 'raost sidamo', 'raost v4' and 'slow raost', all at L1.9 as that was the maximum recommended level.
I found that while the result was a pretty sweet cup, no bitterness and not too acidic, but also very boring!! I can't taste any florals.

However when I went back to ninja turtle, I was getting blueberry florals again.

So I don't know if its just me and the way I roasted it or my setup, but sometimes I wonder if there's a lot of hype over how the profile looks but not so much about the result in the cup.

Just my 2 cents, be interested to see what others think.
TheBean

Post by TheBean »

With these beans, I would first try MASL profile and roast to 20~25% after first crack - it’s a good reference point to start with. Try lower and higher development levels - you might be surprised by the taste…