Colombian Volcan Galeras Supremo

Share your tasting notes and evaluation of the beans you have roasted, plus evaluation of the different profiles you have used.
theiguanaoz

Colombian Volcan Galeras Supremo

Post by theiguanaoz »

I tried Firestarter set to Level 3.0 and roasted up a few batches back to back.

Let it rest, tried it today (3 days so far) and it is very mellow, a tad spicy, and very easy to drink as espresso. I logged FC on one of the roasts and it fell within the 20-25% Scott Rao range for good espresso DTR - around 22% from memory - too lazy to grab the USB as I type this!

Used the steam pre infusion on the Lelit Elizabeth to brew it, too. Might have made a difference. Beautiful body to this SO and the spicyness and earthiness is pleasant but clean - there's no funkiness like some of the indonesian beans (which I don't mind - but it's nice to have different things!). Will try in milk and report back.

Doesn't seem as sweet as the Colombian Excelso I tried recently. I'll upload the log when I get a chance.
theiguanaoz

Re: Colombian Volcan Galeras Supremo

Post by theiguanaoz »

So in milk it's nicely balanced - again, not as sweet and caramel as the Excelso but still really pleasant.

The longer rest period (up to 4 days at time of writing) has produced a smoother, sweeter bean in espresso, too. Nice body on the shot, very impressed with this little roaster's ability to magically make great tasting beans! I was slightly finer on the grind because I didn't dial in - seemed to run slightly faster but I think the shot liked this as the results in cup were really pleasing.
fnq

Post by fnq »

I am currently drinking this in espresso and milk drinks. Using the slightly lower altitude 1200-1500 M RTD profile at 3.0. ( Dev time @25 % approx)

I had previously tasted acrid flavours when drinking immediately off the roaster , but now i let them sit on a bench open to the air for 15-30 minutes prior to putting in the hopper. I have found this results in good coffee experiences.

Typical "strong" espresso Columbian traits, but at a medium roast level not too overpowering. Finishes with subtle choc in milk drinks. Very pleasant drinking and is becoming my default roast bean when an RTD is required.

Interesting that the Firestarter profile and the !200-1500 RTD profile curves are similar BUt the treatment of the fan profiles is different.
theiguanaoz

Post by theiguanaoz »

fnq wrote: Thu 31 Dec, 2020 12:41 pm I am currently drinking this in espresso and milk drinks. Using the slightly lower altitude 1200-1500 M RTD profile at 3.0. ( Dev time @25 % approx)

I had previously tasted acrid flavours when drinking immediately off the roaster , but now i let them sit on a bench open to the air for 15-30 minutes prior to putting in the hopper. I have found this results in good coffee experiences.

Typical "strong" espresso Columbian traits, but at a medium roast level not too overpowering. Finishes with subtle choc in milk drinks. Very pleasant drinking and is becoming my default roast bean when an RTD is required.

Interesting that the Firestarter profile and the !200-1500 RTD profile curves are similar BUt the treatment of the fan profiles is different.
Yep - RTD is not really RTD an in most cases I find now I'm getting better flavours off the roast letting it settle for 45 mins. My theory is the bean itself may still be cooling and although it is cool to touch, the cup doesn't lie - it just needs some time.

Today I tried a darker roast - Steady and Dark II - which defaults to 4.8. I again userd a longer, low bar preinfusion on the Lelit Elizabeth and brewed at 91c for a 1:1.5 ratio. Big balanced winey and chocolate flavours - nothing bad about it and an instant favourite. Will try with milk tomorrow.

What a versatile bean! I'm really happy because although I prefer a medium roast this gives me something that tastes more like 'coffee' to serve the peeps who aren't aware of how broad the coffee spectrum is.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I did 3 roasts this morning with this bean.
Firestarter @ 3.0
1200 - 1500 RTD @ 3.0
PowerTEST @ 2.3

Cupped later in the day. I thought Firestarter was by far the best and my experiment PowerTEST was the worst (Sour?).

To my eyes Firestarter is the darkest and Power Test the lightest. Will try later to get PowerTest near the same colour as Firestarter and cup them both. But PowerTEST will need to lift its game by a long way to get close to Firestarter ... it was that bad.

Cheers Mark
Attachments
IMG_1698.jpg
IMG_1698.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 8802 times
theiguanaoz

Post by theiguanaoz »

Mark wrote: Mon 11 Jan, 2021 8:36 pm I did 3 roasts this morning with this bean.
Firestarter @ 3.0
1200 - 1500 RTD @ 3.0
PowerTEST @ 2.3

Cupped later in the day. I thought Firestarter was by far the best and my experiment PowerTEST was the worst (Sour?).

To my eyes Firestarter is the darkest and Power Test the lightest. Will try later to get PowerTest near the same colour as Firestarter and cup them both. But PowerTEST will need to lift its game by a long way to get close to Firestarter ... it was that bad.

Cheers Mark
I'm really enjoying Firestarter lately - getting some good espresso development off of it for various beans. Good to hear it's not just me enjoying it, too :)
Femelle

Post by Femelle »

I’ve just ordered this bean from Beanbay (Coffee Snobs) and I’ve been unsuccessfully looking for the altitude at which they’re grown.

I see that people have used 1200-1500 RTD profiles, along with Firestarter and Steady & Dark. Up to now I’ve mainly used altitude (rest) profiles, with the 1200-1500 seeming to be the default for most of Beanbay’s beans. So I’ll probably start there. I’m really just wondering if others have had further experience with this bean that may lead in a different direction.
fnq

Post by fnq »

Hi

Late post but my experience is below.

I found / or assumed the Volumbian VG bean is grown at 1200-1700MASL. So either 1200-1500 or 1500-2000m on the altitude profiles. ( I preferred the 1500-2000M REST when i initially used this bean)

but mostly these days I use 1500-2000 M RTD when i am caught short. I find this bean as a Single origin in the mid to higher 3levels ( 3.4 of late) is a good heart starter in the morning.

I now use a MD 2 or MD 3 profile at 4.0 or a tad higher and rest for 7 days. I have used this bean as a a base bean when blending with say an ethiopian, but because of its boldness, i limit it to say 30% -- i haven't really cracked a good formula for this bean in a blend.
Femelle

Post by Femelle »

Your response is very timely. My latest beans have just arrived and I’m planning to roast early next week. Or maybe even tomorrow. I’ll use the 1500-2000 rest profile as a starting point for the VG.

I’ll start with it as a SO but I’m loving tinkering with blends. Spent a bit of time going through old posts here and there and have pulled out a few recipes that have been well regarded.

50/50 Volcan Galeras (boldness) and Sulawesi Blue (fruit and cocoa) gave a syrupy, sparkling acidity, chocolate, cocoa and a lingering aftertaste - Greenman

Add India Elephant Hills to those to soften and add sweetness - Andy

2 parts VG, 1 Sulawesi Blue and 1 Eth Gambella s/d got a strong thumbs up from Greenman as well.

Finally, 50/50 VG and Gambella s/d was also highly recommended, can’t recall who by.

Just a few ideas to be going on with. I don’t know if you’ve tried any of these, I’ll slowly work my way through them.
fnq

Post by fnq »

thanks for the blends you have found

i will have a shot at a couple of those as well