Ethiopia Shakisso

Share your tasting notes and evaluation of the beans you have roasted, plus evaluation of the different profiles you have used.
Sam

Ethiopia Shakisso

Post by Sam »

Hi All,

Just sharing success with Ethiopia Shakisso Estate from Cofeesnobs Beanbay using 1500-2000m Rest and 1500-2000m RTD profiles with 100gm batch roasted to L2.4.

Unfortunately, the Ethiopia Shakisso is "sold out".

Sam
Attachments
Ethiopia Shakisso Estate
Ethiopia Shakisso Estate
IMG_1004.jpg (2.48 MiB) Viewed 10277 times
nrdlnd

Re: Ethiopia Shakisso

Post by nrdlnd »

Looks nice!
How did it taste? How have you used it? Espresso? Drip coffe?
I do actually have some beans from this district so I want to try.
Why did you choose 1500-2000 altitude roasts and not 2000-2700?
Elevation is supposed to be around 2000 m for beans from this district..
Sam

Post by Sam »

1500-2000m was just a starting position. I did a search and came back with an elevation of 2000m for Ethiopian Shakisso.

I had tried Ninja and Ninjaturtle with this bean back in June and wasn't entirely pleased with the results.

Brewed as espresso, mainly milk based, as more forgiving when dialling in.

It was well-balanced as an espresso. I'm about to roast some more so will report back with tasting notes.
theiguanaoz

Post by theiguanaoz »

Love, love, love this bean off the KL. Level 2.8 on the 1500-2000m RTD absolutely nails it for me. So well balanced it's godly - and repeatable thanks to the complexity of the bean. Tried 3.0 and nope - starts to get too dark. I think this bean needs some good caramelisation to occur, but not too much - there's a narrow window, as lighter doesn't do it for me either.

I noticed a distinctive difference when I changed machine mid-bag. Not sure what magic my Lelit is casting, but it's a shot machine and brings out all the notesd - including any defects - quite clearly.

My recipe then is 16gms in a 15gm VST, 3-bar preinfuse for 6 seconds, 9-bar brew until 24gms out in cup. Brewing at 93c on my new Lelit Elizabeth V3 dual boiler. Absolytely smashing bean, and will now see if this formula works for more readily available Ethiopians, like Yirg.

Bloom pre-infusion isn't bad either but boy oh boy this bean loves the lever-style 3-bar start on the Elizabeth.
Shakisso.jpg
Shakisso.jpg (895.77 KiB) Viewed 10101 times
Shakisso L28.klog
(81.05 KiB) Downloaded 412 times
fnq

Post by fnq »

I too enjoy this bean ( which is now back in stock in BB).

I have used the 1500- 2000 m REST, KL Classic and MD2 profile on this bean My current blend includes 40 % roasted at level 3.3 and i tend to agree it may be a little dark for getting the best out of this bean. I am missing some of the floral/berry notes. It is still very pleasant but not outstanding. Thanks for sharing your results.

One of my earlier attempts was with a RTD profile and the resultant espresso was Very good about an hour out of the roaster, But this was before i started keeping roasting notes and so i couldn't remember the roast level.
Lesson now learnt.
theiguanaoz

Post by theiguanaoz »

fnq wrote: Wed 11 Nov, 2020 10:42 am One of my earlier attempts was with a RTD profile and the resultant espresso was Very good about an hour out of the roaster, But this was before i started keeping roasting notes and so i couldn't remember the roast level.
Lesson now learnt.
I hear ya! I had a sampler of Guat Huehue and just ordered some more from Green Bean Coffee (Australia) as I enjoyed that almost as much as the Shakisso. However, it was one of my first roasts and for the life of me coudl I recall what I roasted it on? I think 2.4 on the relevant RTD (I'm too impatient to rest at the mo as I'm doing four small batches and sampling them all) but can't be sure.

I'm finding that working on one bean at a time is the way to go - and I tear off little pieces of paper and stuff them in my bean boxes so I know what level and profile I've used.

Back to the Shakisso, give 2.8 a crack and see how you go. It's all subjective of course but I really like it. Dark enough that it tastes developed, but big berries with crisp acidity. Works so well with milk, too.

Today I'm on a Sumatran which goes nicely at 3.0 and has the medium roast baslance between roasted and fruit notes, with an enjoyable funkiness that when the cup is finished smells fermented! Amazing to drink and enjoy. So it just varies, I guess, which is part of the fun (and frustration!)

The other big variable that changed recently for me was moving from an E61 HX to a ring group dual boiler. Walk up shots all day long n- really good for distinguishing between roast levels I find, while removing as much temp error as possible.
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Hi folks,

Can you please tell me how you are drinking your espresso brew? Pure undiluted espresso? With milk or maybe as an diluted "Americano". This is important for me as I'm interested in pure espresso. I can't accept a too acid espresso as I don't want to add sugar either. I still have some Shakisso and I wonder if you have tried it as a straight espresso?
Hawko

Post by Hawko »

straight espresso, no sugar, no milk, 20-21gram shots here
Femelle

Post by Femelle »

I’ve been playing around with this bean too and am developing quite strong opinions about it!

Like @Sam I tried and rejected Ninja Turtle. Even at L2.8 it lost complexity and fruitiness with something that felt a bit like tannin to me on the sides and back of the tongue. That was as an espresso. With milk it was better but still very straightforward and definitely not bringing out the best of the bean.

So far I’m finding 1500-2000 at levels 2.4-2.8 to be my preferred options. I’ve roasted at L2.4 and 2.8 at different times but haven’t done side by side tastings of these. My notes say light to medium body, beautiful balance, fruity, complex, delicious. That’s black. With milk the flavours still cut through, fruitiness and complexity remain, they’re just really good.

This bean is becoming one of my favourites. I preferred it to the Ethiopian Harrar. I have some Yirgacheffe which I haven’t tried yet but it’ll need to be good to beat this.