Suggested beans and roast depth for a more syrupy finish

fnq

Re: Suggested beans and roast depth for a more syrupy finish

Post by fnq »

Hi Beanz , thanks for posting up your 2+2 table.

I forgot to check the weight loss individually in my last batches, but overall i had something like 360gm green beans turned to 300 gms total roast ( so a 16 % weight loss) / Which ended up as 250gm BLend and 50 gm leftovers which i threw together with some Indian Elephant Hills to make up a reasonable size ( this left over was unremarkable, not horrible but not worth doing the same again.)

I will be trying the KJM at day 5 tomorrow, so will report back. I used similar roast depths as you - hoping for a pleasant tasting experience.
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

Beanz wrote: Thu 06 Aug, 2020 8:27 pm Others have reported great success with pre-blending but that hasn't worked for me with the bean set I've got.
Hi Beanz

If I get my act together and remember, I can drop off or you can pickup, some Peru organic beans from me, 100 grams, no charge, as I'll need some once you've done all the hard work and worked out this blend. :D

I purchased hoping to get something good, similar to yourself in this blend. As mentioned its a fail so far.

I'm in Auckland at the moment, and coming back soon. But wont have any gear, as taking the bus.

Anyway, a bit of food for thought. You can private message me if you want. (somehow in this support page).

Cheers
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

fnq wrote: Thu 06 Aug, 2020 6:43 pm I was following another thread on KL fan calibration and haven't checked my setting as yet , but did note that i was teetering on the chaff lid dancing. This was with the 90 gm roast, and i inferred i was at the upper edge of the acceptable range on this load. Again my reasoning was, that this was good , being the power available was able to provide the Fluid/air environment strived for. ( also a side note: probably don't go lower than 90 gms in batch size
Hi

I'd be interested to know what your calibration data is, as Wayne has got me to change mine up to 0.96

You can look in the log, but ensure you have visibility of calibration data field. I'm sure you are already in Advanced or Engineering mode. (From menu, Options->Advanced or Engineer). Look for calibration data.

I've never had the lid dance around on this roaster, thus interested to know, as sounds like yours is really pumping some good air through. I think the middle value is the fan calibration number.

Cheers
Beanz

Post by Beanz »

Just a quick update. Day 8 of my above blend and it's got a lot better. On saying that, I'm left with a slightly ashy aftertaste and the blend seems to have peaked yesterday at Day 7. Today I will need to have my second attempt. Oh for access to some of those beans you Aussies can get! Such a tease
Log0058.png
Log0058.png (125.44 KiB) Viewed 7357 times
log0058.klog
(92.48 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
fnq

Post by fnq »

Hi Geronimo

I just checked the roast log,, and on the roast where i nearly had dancing lid , i had 234 volts / 1355 watts and my calibration is .97 ( i haven't altered it from delivery settings) I did just check my weighing and it is possible that this bean was only 86 gms instead of 90 - so all of those things probably contributed to the high level air flow.

Hi Beanz
thanks for your log file. My file is similar , with temp just moving away from the profile right at the end . ( mine 222 degrees at 9.50, yours 226 degrees at 11.50) Mine was GTTT not D roast.

I have just had some coffee of the GTTT profile at 4.5 days post roast and the flavor isn't fully developed or i have some astringent defect tastes - not horrible but will hopefully improve over the next couple of days
Attachments
log0046.klog
(77.96 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

fnq wrote: Sat 08 Aug, 2020 1:09 pm Hi Geronimo

I just checked the roast log,, and on the roast where i nearly had dancing lid , i had 234 volts / 1355 watts and my calibration is .97 ( i haven't altered it from delivery settings) I did just check my weighing and it is possible that this bean was only 86 gms instead of 90 - so all of those things probably contributed to the high level air flow.
Hi

Thanks for that info. Much appreciated.

Cheers