photos of different roast levels for comparison?

fnq

Re: photos of different roast levels for comparison?

Post by fnq »

Hi

Here is a photo of a post roast blend,,,, so not a perfect sampler but the only beans i had to take a picture of for you.

There are 2 beans - a peru roasted at 2000-2700 m REST profile at 3.7
and a columbian roasted at 1500- 2000 m REST profile at 3.7

The peru bean through mid 3 roast levels to high 4 levels brings a slightly cocoa colour( dusty brown) ( and flavour) - so the slightly lighter beans in the bowl

The columbian roast is very typical colour and 'strong' - so the slightly darker beans in the bowl. These darken considerably almost towards black at 4.9 and above, with oily sweat beads the most noticeable difference when going into the low 5 roast levels. I struck trouble with power on some profiles on these very dark roasts and also tried a couple of different profiles but seemed to max out my Temp probe above 228 i think).....

I found most of these roasts above mid 4s only added ashy flavours , so i don't experiment up there any more ( my taste preference only)

Of note in your photos...... you have quite a few outliers in colour - mottled roast, whereas in my experience this is not the norm ( albeit an Ethiopian or two roast quite ugly but still taste divine ... again mostly at lighter roast levels than you are looking for. )

Something certainly doesn't look right. My suggestions:-

If you can get hold of some easy to roast beans and try them ( something tried and true like a Brazilian pulped natural , or Columbian Superb or excelso or just about any bean used as a base beans ) it will maximise your chance of success on early roasts. ( Or just go into your local roaster and ask for suggestion for an easy first roast bean)

Roast at the default settings for each profile in the first instance - see if the machine/bean combination can produce a good shot at lower roast levels.

If you take your USB drive out and start the machine the default profile should be KL classic - if not download form the forum site and add to your USB..

Scroll through either the logs or the display on the machine to see what available power you have or if you max out and flatline - this can lead to a poor roast result.

Keep communicating with the KL team - they will try and assist you to an improved result

Good luck. Darryl
Attachments
elevation 3.7 .jpg
elevation 3.7 .jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 5465 times
peleep

Post by peleep »

lol. upload some anyway. i'm interested to see how "dark" you can get it to, and which prfile.

im not a dark drink in general but wanted to test drive the KL ferrari to its limits. and right now i'm astonished that none of the core profiles can create a dark roast. even the so called "super dark" profile at 5.5 only take it to full city level for me.

i've also tried different beans. and same/similar results.

so myearly conclusion is the mcahine is not quite right. or the roast levels are deceptive..i.e. 5.5 doesn't actually give a french or italian roast result...rather only full city.
Beeroclock

Post by Beeroclock »

Hi Peleep

where did you get those beans from? They look like they have quite a few quakers. Did you measure or do you know what their moisture content is? I've had beans form Indonesia that have measured quite high over 13%, this would definitely affect your roast.

Have you tried roasting any other beans?

Looking at your log it seems like you've run out of puff for this bean. Perhaps try the rest profile which has a higher warm-up heat. If the beans do have higher moisture content - they're going to need more energy to get them going.

I don't think you should look at the roast level in such a linear fashion - it's dependent on the profile, ergo a 1.9 on one profile might be darker than a 3 on another profile or so at least that's how I understand it.

All profiles are just general starting points. I don't know what your knowledge/background is on fluid bed roasters - but they are a different beast to drum etc - it's a learning curve.

More to the point have you cupped/tasted any of the of the roasts minus quakers? My guess is they may taste somewhat baked.

Just roasting super dark with will mask a lot of origin flavours, it's also particularly had to do well even for the pro's.

Cheers Phil